Dodgers to sell TV rights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgers to sell TV rights...

And now we know why they were so willing to "overpay" to get the Dodgers...

EXCLUSIVE: It seems strangely logical that the highest-priced sports team in the world is about to score the richest TV deal ever in pro sports history. Insiders tell me that Fox Sports is close to clinching the exclusive TV rights for the Los Angeles Dodgers by paying between $6 billion and $7 billion over 25 years to put the team on its regional sports network in Southern California and of course its national Fox Broadcasting Company. Fox already shows the games on its Prime Ticket local cable channel but also has Fox Sports West here.

The previous agreement expires at the end of next season, and saw Fox Sports paying only about $40 million per season for the Dodgers TV rights. There was speculation the final price would just go north of $150 million per season. This new deal soars to $280 million per season (the average for the life of the contract). The huge outlay by News Corp demonstrates the increasing value of sports to its bottom line, while the huge payday for Guggenheim offsets the record-setting $2.15 billion price paid for the Dodgers.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Lol, what a total hack of a writer. It's amazing that folks like this have jobs while there are actual, talented folks out there on the unemployment line.

Anyway, yeah this does explain a lot of the massive capital outlay the Guggenheim group put out there, eh?

And one last LOL (capitalized) at News Corp (aka Fox) for getting roundly screwed in every way here. Remember, they sold the Dodgers for $450 million a mere 8 years ago. Now they're paying somewhere to the effect of 15 times that amount just to retain television rights. Nice work Rupert, ya dick.
    Couldn't happen to a nicer guy either...the sad thing is Fox is still going to make a ton of cash on the deal, and eventually will own the Yes network. There's a deal that I don't understand...unless the Steinbrenner boys are just tired of the ratrace and just want to go sail around the ocean for the rest of their lives...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Looks like the TV deal will be closer to $8 billion.

Damn, that's some cheddar right there. No wonder the Gugenheimsters shelled out that kind of cash for the team.
      Gotta love the valuation business.

Comment

My Braves are so screwed in a few years, locked into a horrible TV contract for the next 15-20 years or so.

Comment

The Dodgers RSN ndeal is official according to Ken Rosenthal. The RSN will be managed by Time Warner and the Dodgers will get about $280 MILLION per season.

I never want to hear about the Yankees unfair advantage again.

Comment

The Yankees DO have an unfair advantage. It's just that now they're not the only ones.
            Exactly.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

The Dodgers, whose proposed deal with Fox was thwarted last month by revenue-sharing concerns, announced plans Monday to launch a regional sports network in 2014 that will be funded almost entirely by Time Warner Cable.

In the revenue-sharing agreement among the 30 teams, if teams assume the risk of ownership in their own TV network, they are permitted to keep their revenue. Still, MLB has the right to establish a fair-market broadcasting rights fee to those teams, and require teams to contribute 34% to revenue sharing, such as the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, with the YES Network and NESN, respectively

MLB argues that the Dodgers won't be taking a significant risk since Time Warner Cable is guaranteeing $7 billion. Time Warner announced it plans to be the exclusive advertising affiliate sales network of the channel, vowing to cover affiliate fees from distributors who refuse to carry the channel.

The deal could be worth at least an additional $1 billion if the Dodgers have to comply only by the bankruptcy court agreement and not the MLB revenue-sharing agreement.
              But my favorite part:

"I don't know the details of the (TV) deal,'' Oakland Athletics owner Lew Wolff told USA TODAY Sports, "but it's a magnificent transition in the respect of the value of baseball. I'm hoping that when good things happen, all ships rise.''

Even if the Dodgers are required to share their entire revenue, Wolff says he is not concerned about the gulf between small and large-market clubs.

"That's always going to happen,'' Wolff said "but the Yankees haven't' hurt baseball, in my opinion.

"They've made us a lot more valuable.''

Comment

Working...
              X