2K13: AL East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
    How come nobody thinks a healthy 195 inning morrow is not an 'ace' pitcher? Lots of strike outs, doesn't walk too too many, he has the stuff to dominate every time out.
    1 - 195 IP is light for an ace. They need 225+
    2 - Morrow has never thrown more than 179 IP in any season, and the season he did that he was far from an ace
    3 - he pitched like an ace this past year, but it was only in 125 IP and until he can do that in 100 more innings, he's a great #3 with ace upside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      Exactly, I think we've been over this before, just cause a pitcher is listed as the #1 starter on a team doesn't mean he's an ace. Verlander, Price, CC, Felix, etc they are aces.
      I get that. I concede that Johnson and Morrow have the potential, but neither has shown it yet.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

So, the Yankees brought back Kuroda and Pettitte but they're still going to have to deal with ARod missing a portion of the year and Jeter missing games, too. Management seems determined to keep payroll at a more sane level, so it's unlikely that they make a big free-agent signing or take on a bad contract via trade for some short-term benefit. There's still a lot of talent here but they seem to be headed in the wrong direction and I can't seem them finishing higher than 3rd right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
          So, the Yankees brought back Kuroda and Pettitte but they're still going to have to deal with ARod missing a portion of the year and Jeter missing games, too. Management seems determined to keep payroll at a more sane level, so it's unlikely that they make a big free-agent signing or take on a bad contract via trade for some short-term benefit. There's still a lot of talent here but they seem to be headed in the wrong direction and I can't seem them finishing higher than 3rd right now.
          It is very early to evaluate the Yankees. Jeter swears he'll be ready to start the season, I believe him. Nunez is underrated and a more than adequate fill-in if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Nunez is not good, at least with the bat. If he's lucky he'll be league average. I guess that could be considered "underrated", although I'd probably choose a different adjective.
            He lacks power and doesn't walk much but he makes good contact and doesn't strikeout. He has a solid glove at shortstop and good speed. At 25-years old he may still have some skill growth coming. Maybe underrated is the wrong word but I don't think you can argue that he doesn't have what it takes to fill-in at shortstop for a couple of weeks if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
              He lacks power and doesn't walk much but he makes good contact and doesn't strikeout. He has a solid glove at shortstop and good speed. At 25-years old he may still have some skill growth coming. Maybe underrated is the wrong word but I don't think you can argue that he doesn't have what it takes to fill-in at shortstop for a couple of weeks if necessary.
              The real question now isn't, "Is Nunez good enough to fill in at shortstop for a couple of weeks"; it's, "Is Nunez good enough to fill in at third base for half a season or more?". The latter is a vastly different and greater issue.

Don't get me wrong. I like Nunez' skill set, but I wonder about him as an everyday 3B, especially after the poor season he had in 2012.

As for the rest of the Yankee lineup, as of now they will not inspire nearly as much fear among opponents as in the recent past. They're light at least one starting OF, have no proven catcher, no even semi-regular DH, a SS coming back from serious injury (hopefully without serious lingering issues), and little or no bench strength.

How will the division shake out in 2013? The only prediction I can make as of now is the Red Sox in last. The others could easily finish anywhere in the top four.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                The real question now isn't, "Is Nunez good enough to fill in at shortstop for a couple of weeks"; it's, "Is Nunez good enough to fill in at third base for half a season or more?". The latter is a vastly different and greater issue.

Don't get me wrong. I like Nunez' skill set, but I wonder about him as an everyday 3B, especially after the poor season he had in 2012.

As for the rest of the Yankee lineup, as of now they will not inspire nearly as much fear among opponents as in the recent past. They're light at least one starting OF, have no proven catcher, no even semi-regular DH, a SS coming back from serious injury (hopefully without serious lingering issues), and little or no bench strength.

How will the division shake out in 2013? The only prediction I can make as of now is the Red Sox in last. The others could easily finish anywhere in the top four.
                Cashman keeps saying that Ninez is a shortstop and his intention is not to move him around. I think the Yankees will be looking elsewhere for someone to cover third base this season.

Comment

Well, assuming that the rumored deal goes thru our rotation looks like

J Johnson
                  RA Dickey
                  B Morrow
                  M Buehrle
                  R Romero

I know Dickey probably should be in the 1 slot but I really like the order with knuckler between the two power pitchers.

It's a good time to be a jays fan.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

If the Jays can't do it this year, when they have taken two steps forward and everyone else in the division either standing still or taking a step backwards, when will they ever be able to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                      Well, assuming that the rumored deal goes thru our rotation looks like

J Johnson
                      RA Dickey
                      B Morrow
                      M Buehrle
                      R Romero

I know Dickey probably should be in the 1 slot but I really like the order with knuckler between the two power pitchers.

It's a good time to be a jays fan.
                      I think Romero is closer to the number two starter in actual ability. During the season he didn't complain but after the season ended he had had arthroscopic surgery performed on his left elbow and platelet-rich plasma injections in both knees. Seems like his big slip was more aches and pains then any kind of decline. At least that's what I'm choosing to believe.

Comment

Jink:

"Have the Blue Jays' moves, including adding reigning National League Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey, help Toronto win the World Series? According to some folks in Las Vegas, Toronto is now the favorite to win the World Series. Bovada.lv has released its latest odds for 2013, with the Blue Jays leading the way with 15-2 odds. The Blue Jays were 12-1 at Bovada.lv before acquiring Dickey.

Now, let's remember, the goal of the oddsmakers isn't to get it right -- it's to get money on both sides. So the Blue Jays having the best odds isn't because the people in Las Vegas think the Blue Jays will win, they think enough people will think the Blue Jays will win and enough people will think they won't, to even out on both sides. But that doesn't mean these things aren't fun.

Here's the latest MLB odds from Bovada.lv":
                        Toronto Blue Jays 15-2
                        Los Angeles Angels 17-2
                        Los Angeles Dodgers 17-2
                        Washington Nationals 9-1
                        Detroit Tigers 10-1
                        Cincinnati Reds 12-1
                        Texas Rangers 12-1
                        New York Yankees 14-1
                        Atlanta Braves 16-1
                        Philadelphia Phillies 16-1
                        San Francisco Giants 16-1
                        Tampa Bay Rays 22-1
                        Boston Red Sox 25-1
                        St. Louis Cardinals 25-1
                        Oakland Athletics 30-1
                        Milwaukee Brewers 35-1
                        Baltimore Orioles 40-1
                        Chicago White Sox 40-1
                        Arizona Diamondbacks 45-1
                        Kansas City Royals 50-1
                        Pittsburgh Pirates 50-1
                        Cleveland Indians 75-1
                        Minnesota Twins 75-1
                        New York Mets 75-1
                        Seattle Mariners 75-1
                        Chicago Cubs 100-1
                        Colorado Rockies 100-1
                        Miami Marlins 100-1
                        San Diego Padres 100-1
                        Houston Astros 200-1

Comment

I'm in Vegas right now (yes, again), and I'm going to check the odds at the sports books over the next few days. Can't believe the lack of love for the reigning WS champions. I may also drop a twenty on my Pirates, just for laughs and just in case...
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Washington Nationals 9-1
                            This is who I'd be putting money on, I think they'll be looking for redemption after last year's collapse. And Strasberg.
                            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Any new thoughts on this? It's a very difficult division to handicap, but if I had to pick it, I'd go something like this:

Jays
                              Rays
                              Yankees
                              Red Sox
                              Orioles

Comment

It's too close to call. I think the Rays, Jays, Sox, & Yankees are going to all be separated by as few as 3 or 4 games. If you forced me to pick a winner for the division right now, I'd say Rays.

Comment

Working...
                                X