Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPS of players in their 30's

keep that in mind as we see what AJ Pierzynski signs for

That graph is surprising and changes the way I think of players in their mid-30's. Absolutely mind-boggling and counter-intuitive that a 37-yr old hitter has a higher OPS than a 33-yr old player. Of course, the graph doesnt take into consideration the players that are out of MLB by their mid-30's. I'd like to see a graph from 2005 to present, which would represent a more PED-less sample.

Another graph I'd like to see is PAs for the same age range.

Can you do a graph for pitchers' FIP or xFIP?

Comment

If you're 37 and not a good hitter, you're likely not in the league any longer or aren't getting enough playing time to matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
        If you're 37 and not a good hitter, you're likely not in the league any longer or aren't getting enough playing time to matter.
        I was thinking more towards fantasy and how much to discount players over age 33 from their performance over the prior 3 years or so. The key would seem to be determining which players are through by their mid-30's and also for hitters still in MLB how much time these players are likely miss due to injuries, rest, etc. That's why I wanted to see a graph of PAs for these hitters. And also the sample sizes for the different ages.

Comment

Sadly, I didn't keep the spreadsheet I did this with. I'll do something with pitchers and keep that here in the coming weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
            I'd like to see a graph from 2005 to present, which would represent a more PED-less sample.
            I really don't think 2005-present would represent a more PED-less sample. Just because the League and the PA formalized testing before the 2005 season doesn't mean that the usage has necessarily declined as a result. It just means that players were forced to be more vigilant and intelligent with their performance drugs of choice. Even when tests are adopted that will screen for all known PEDs and when blood tests are agreed upon, players will still find ways to get around it.

Why do you think we've seen an increased number of Minor League players suspended? Because the reward for making it to the Big Leagues is millions and millions of dollars. Even the base minimum 400k is worth the risk for some players. 50 games is a drop in the bucket for someone who seeks the big payout reward for making it.
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
              I really don't think 2005-present would represent a more PED-less sample. Just because the League and the PA formalized testing before the 2005 season doesn't mean that the usage has necessarily declined as a result. It just means that players were forced to be more vigilant and intelligent with their performance drugs of choice. Even when tests are adopted that will screen for all known PEDs and when blood tests are agreed upon, players will still find ways to get around it.

Why do you think we've seen an increased number of Minor League players suspended? Because the reward for making it to the Big Leagues is millions and millions of dollars. Even the base minimum 400k is worth the risk for some players. 50 games is a drop in the bucket for someone who seeks the big payout reward for making it.
              1994-2003/2004 has a dramatic difference statistically.
              The best example I've seen is if you look at the top 10 in slugging % for each year: BR Link

Using just the top 10 hitters in slugging %, per year, you can see these averages:
              1994-2004: .641
              2005-2007: .612
              2008-2012: .579
              On a more discrete level, from 1994-2004, .690 slugging was bested 16 times. From 1962-1993, nobody did it. From 2005 forward, nobody has done it.

As such, I think it's worth consideration that age falloffs from 2005 on would be different than those from 2000 on.
              people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

What is the PA threshold on this?
                Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Good write-up on Frangraphs about Pierzynski:

That was unexpected. At age 35, A.J. Pierzynski shattered his season-high home run total and churned out a top-5 season among catchers. Over his career, Pierzynski’s main asset has been his durability…

Comment

Given the peaks and valleys, I wonder if that is a graph of all players by age. If so, the graph is influenced by release/retirement, causing (presumably) under performing players to fall out of the average. Another thing I would want to know is how they arrived at the numbers. Is it weighted by PT or a simple average of the player numbers?

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                    X