• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapman as a starter?

Sure, Sale did it, but I'm not a big fan of this

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/stat...96647363612672

Sure, Sale did it, but I'm not a big fan of this
    I'm a little surprised by your stance and curious about your take on the biggest thing Chapman is still missing as a potential starter.

You really emphasize how overvalued relievers and especially closers are compared to starters. Since Chapman potentially has way more value as a starter, don't they have to try this out? Are you against ever making this move with Chapman, or just now? What about him suggests he can't succeed as a starter yet? His lack of a third pitch? Durability concerns? He defintely started out as a one dimensional thrower, but he made a big leap last year as a pitcher. If they do this now though, what do your project will happen? Will he fail miserably? Get hurt? Or just be a less valuable as a starter for them than as a reliever? Is it because they have more SP depth than reliever depth?

Comment

Chapman wore out this season with reliever use. Color me skeptical about him lasting as a starter - worry he goes the Daniel Bard route if he does.

Comment

I'm not even sure he has the durability to be a closer. He needs to go every 2-3 days, not back-to-back or 3 in a row.

The flip side of that is that he can probably give you 2 innings every 2-3 days.

Comment

Can he go four innings every four days? We might have a role for him in Colorado...
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

If I want to win, I find a way for this guy to pitch for 6-7 innings every 5th day. Makes total sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Very smart move by the Reds, which means I'll believe it when I see it.
              Hey! HEY! I'm in charge of making snarky comments about the Reds here!

This has been discussed a fair amount lately on Cincinnati sports talk radio, since the Reds' ignominious exit from the playoffs and the Bengals' October implosion. The experts in the stands seem divided on the subject. One school of thought is that the Reds made a mistake (imagine that, the Reds mishandling a pitcher) last spring when they groomed Chapman as a SP, only to put him back in the pen when the season began. The theory is that they should pick one way, starting or relieving, and have him work there from day one of spring training.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

They've got Cueto, Latos, Bailey and Arroyo as their top 4, and presumably Tony Congrani will challenge Leake for the 5 spot. The Reds arguably do not need him to start.
                people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I don't see why you don't TRY. If it doesn't work out, he goes back to being the lights-out reliever he's already proven he can be. Seems to me if you have the chance at a real ace, you have to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                    I don't see why you don't TRY. If it doesn't work out, he goes back to being the lights-out reliever he's already proven he can be. Seems to me if you have the chance at a real ace, you have to take it.
                    That's the way they played it last spring. IMO the extra innings pitched in spring eventually took their toll, plus he had to change his mind-set completely when he was sent back to the bullpen. Some guys are physically and mentally able to make a fast transition; evidently Chapman, for all his talent, is not.

Again strictly IMO--the Reds should make a decision well before spring training and let him know what his role is going forward. Let him prepare for that one role. Keep him in that one role. The results will speak for themselves, good or bad.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

So if he does become a starter, who becomes closer? Marshall?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                        that's my pick

Comment

There was no mention of Marshall in the RotoWorld blurb about this:

The Reds will reevaluate Aroldis Chapman's role.
                          Chapman was probably the most dominant closer in baseball this past season, but the Reds can better maximize his value by finally converting him into a starting pitcher. "We haven't made a decision on Chapman as a starter or as a reliever," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Monday. "We're talking about it. It depends on if we re-sign [Jonathan] Broxton and [Ryan] Madson. Or if we get another closer." Nov 5 - 2:48 PM
                          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I'd probably go Broxton, Madson, Marshall, totally depending on who gets signed.

Remember, that we are trying to get into Dustybrain...

I think Marshall has too much of the "good-setup-failed-closer" stink about him. Madson is a bit of a question mark after the lost season. Broxton was decent enough and has a pedigree that I think Dusty would target.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                              I'd probably go Broxton, Madson, Marshall, totally depending on who gets signed.

Remember, that we are trying to get into Dustybrain...

I think Marshall has too much of the "good-setup-failed-closer" stink about him. Madson is a bit of a question mark after the lost season. Broxton was decent enough and has a pedigree that I think Dusty would target.
                              Dane, I see it that way, too. This assumes they re-sign Broxton and/or Madson.

Marshall's role should be reevaluated regardless. Dusty was using him as more of a situational lefty late in the year, as opposed to his proven success in one- and two-inning stints. That's a waste of Marshall's considerable talent.

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                              X