No announcement yet.

Mock #1 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll be around all day if anyone wants to send me their picks. If you run out of guys I'll just give you Ken Griffey Jr.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
      I'll be around all day if anyone wants to send me their picks. If you run out of guys I'll just give you Ken Griffey Jr.
      Ha!

Reading that, I had a flashback to my 1996 AL-Only auction. Our host was pretty drunk when we got there, very drunk when we started, and blind drunk when he bought Albert Belle $51 and Griffey $52 back-to-back. He then literally crawled up the stairs to his room and passed out. Every half hour, someone would say, "Should we wake him up yet?", but considering he had about $50 left and 11 spots, we let him sleep for about three hours.

No he didn't win the league, but he made some good trades using those two, and we had a true legend to retell. Fifteen years later, he's a responsible family man type, but we don't let him forget that we remember that day.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
        Ha!

Reading that, I had a flashback to my 1996 AL-Only auction. Our host was pretty drunk when we got there, very drunk when we started, and blind drunk when he bought Albert Belle $51 and Griffey $52 back-to-back. He then literally crawled up the stairs to his room and passed out. Every half hour, someone would say, "Should we wake him up yet?", but considering he had about $50 left and 11 spots, we let him sleep for about three hours.

No he didn't win the league, but he made some good trades using those two, and we had a true legend to retell. Fifteen years later, he's a responsible family man type, but we don't let him forget that we remember that day.
        Excellent.

My league's similar story isn't quite as outrageous, but has some of the same characteristics.

In 2002, a perennial contender couldn't make the auction so he sent a friend as a proxy. The guy bought Bonds, Vlad, Randy Johnson and a couple of other guys at outrageous prices quickly. After two or three rounds he was down to his minimum bid already. We were in a bar/restaurant, so he went over to the bar portion to smoke cigarettes for a couple of hours. Then he came back and filled out his roster with the likes of John Mabry and Bud Smith.

Monday morning, the owner sends out an email to the league: "So, yeah, does anyone want to talk trade?" He said he had assigned price ceilings for all the studs but his friend had ignored them.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Same league as my previous anecdote--

2001. Because Sunday was Easter, the show I was about to open in had its one-and-only Saturday afternoon rehearsal. Saturday was auction day as well. I got a friend who had been in draft leagues but never an auction league to be my proxy. I met him early at the auction site, gave him my lists with the one-and-only key to the obscure squiggles on my list, told him to bid Pedro up to $60 if necessary, and to use his judgment from there.

He got in a bidding war, went to $62, and then let himself be outbid. Pedro went for $63, and the a**hole owners, the ones nobody liked, got him. They were financially crippled by their "must buy", and while I didn't win the league (second IIRC) due to some endgame awful buys, my pal did everyone except the winning bidders a great favor.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            Same league as my previous anecdote--

2001. Because Sunday was Easter, the show I was about to open in had its one-and-only Saturday afternoon rehearsal. Saturday was auction day as well. I got a friend who had been in draft leagues but never an auction league to be my proxy. I met him early at the auction site, gave him my lists with the one-and-only key to the obscure squiggles on my list, told him to bid Pedro up to $60 if necessary, and to use his judgment from there.

He got in a bidding war, went to $62, and then let himself be outbid. Pedro went for $63, and the a**hole owners, the ones nobody liked, got him. They were financially crippled by their "must buy", and while I didn't win the league (second IIRC) due to some endgame awful buys, my pal did everyone except the winning bidders a great favor.
            sorry, off topic, but what kind of show were you opening?

Comment

sorry, off topic, but what kind of show were you opening?
              My other hobby is community theater, with an occasional low-end paid gig. That particular show was my second/third time as Sancho in Man of La Mancha. There's a story behind the "second/third", but that's for another time; let's just say that I learned the hard way that politicians are more trustworthy than many theater folks.

-- William James

Comment

• I'll be out until sometime tonight, so I left a list with Erick and brave for my next pick.

Comment

• No prob, I'll be around all day.

Comment

• Piney, I think that you need to step in as commish and take the bull by the horns. This reserve round is taking WAAAAAAY too long, and people are starting to lose interest.

And could you please re-post the yahoo info, I spaced on it and never got there to register.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Hornsby is probably correct, this is starting to drag, but we do have 6 hour time limits on weekends so it is possible we have just hit a slow weekend. Maybe everyone is getting the DJ (I think I have the right guy)treatment from their significant other!!

I could use the Yahoo info again as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by braveshots View Post
                        Hornsby is probably correct, this is starting to drag, but we do have 6 hour time limits on weekends so it is possible we have just hit a slow weekend. Maybe everyone is getting the DJ (I think I have the right guy)treatment from their significant other!!

I could use the Yahoo info again as well.
                        At least one of us doesn't HAVE a significant other.

-- William James

Comment

• I'm here all day for picks if needed. I'm chomping at the bit to select Kevin Cash so let's get this moving.

Comment

I'm here all day for picks if needed. I'm chomping at the bit to select Kevin Cash so let's get this moving.
                            I'd rather have Dave Cash. Or Norm Cash. Or Johnny Cash.

-- William James

Comment

• Frank -- I can't speak for the other 18 participants, but I have a strict "Just Say No" policy when it comes to Fausto Carmona in fantasy leagues.

Comment

• Frank said--

"1.13 - Kevin Jepsen - SS - Seattle Pilots"

Actually, the shortstop for the immortal (but really most sincerely dead) Seattle Pilots was that fantasy stud Ray Oyler.

Erik--I don't think his actual 1.14 pick of Carmona was that bad. High-risk, high-reward (if he has a year like 2007), and it's just a reserve pick. If Carmona gets off to a start like his 2008 or 2009 seasons, Frank dumps him, that's all. I thought about taking Carmona for my last pitcher, although admittedly I didn't think about it for very long.

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X