Power/speed guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power/speed guys

10 MLB players had 20HR/20SB seasons in 2012, including 2 30/30 guys. They are:

R. Braun (Mil) 41HR/30SB
    M. Trout (LAA) 30HR/49SB
    B.J. Upton (TB) 28HR/31SB
    A. McCutchen (Pit) 31HR/20SB
    J. Rollins (Phi) 23HR/30SB
    J. Heyward (Atl) 27HR/21SB
    Al. Rios (CHW) 25HR/23SB
    I. Desmond (Was) 25HR/21SB
    H. Ramirez (LAD) 24HR/21SB
    C. Gonzalez (Col) 22HR/20SB

Few of the above are that surprising. But there are 7 other players that almost accomplished this feat (20+ in 1 category and w/i 3 of 20 in the other) and most of these probably will surprise you:

C. Gomez (Mil) 19HR/37SB
    M. Saunders (Sea) 19HR/21SB
    I. Kinsler (Tex) 19HR/21SB
    B. Harper (Was) 22HR/18SB
    P. Goldschmidt (Ari) 20HR/18SB
    C. Headley (SD) 31HR/17SB
    D. Espinosa (Was) 17HR/20SB

No doubt Y. Cespedes would have done it also if not for lost time due to injury.

Most of the guys that did it this yr have done it before: Braun,(2), McCutchen (1), Rios (1), Upton (2), Rollins (2), Ramirez (4), Gonzalez (2). Also, Kinsler has done it 3 times before.

To my knowledge, 5 players accomplished this in the minors this year.

Originally posted by rhd View Post
    To my knowledge, 5 players accomplished this in the minors this year.
    Good stuff. Who are the 5?

Comment

Originally posted by E-Z Glider View Post
      Good stuff. Who are the 5?
      G. Springer (Hou/Hi-A) 24HR/32SB
      T. Thompson (CHW/Hi-A) 25HR/21SB
      C. Vaughn (NYM/Hi-A) 23HR/21SB
      K. De La Cruz (Bos/A-Lo) 20HR/20SB
      J. Martinson (Was/A-Lo/A-Hi) 22HR/30SB

Several others were close.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
        G. Springer (Hou/Hi-A) 24HR/32SB
        T. Thompson (CHW/Hi-A) 25HR/21SB
        C. Vaughn (NYM/Hi-A) 23HR/21SB
        K. De La Cruz (Bos/A-Lo) 20HR/20SB
        J. Martinson (Was/A-Lo/A-Hi) 22HR/30SB

Several others were close.
        Are any of these guys MLB stars in the making?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Springer could be... he's a college kid, so he's older than most of the guys at High-A, but he's also very raw for a college kid. Thompson has massive power, but big holes in his swing. I've never heard of the other 3 guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Springer is definitely a top prospect, has a great power/speed combo, but he does have a plate discipline problem. Thompson is another very good prospect; I would expect him to make a few top prospect lists this offseason. He also has plate discipline problems. Both Springer and Thompson are considered premium athletes and are very good defensively. The others would be more mid-range prospects. De La Cruz is up and coming and might be the best of these 3 others. But he also has plate discipline problems. So does Martinson, and he also is rather old for his leagues. Vaughn's plate discipline is probably the best, altho he does K a lot too. I know less about Martinson than I do about the others, but he was drafted in the 5th round so he was fairly highly thought of. So all these guys are prospects. Springer is probably the only 1 that could be considered a potential star rt now, altho w a breakout season, Thompson could elevate himself to that status.

BTW, Vaughn is former MLBer Greg Vaughn's son, and Thompson is former NBA player Mychal Thompson's son. Good genes!

Comment

Don't a lot of players have inflated stolen base numbers in single A only to see their steals drop off drastically once they reach AA or AAA? I would have to see a minor league player steal bases at a higher level than single A before counting on him to do it the big leagues. I think if a player shows power at the lower levels it usually is legit though.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                Don't a lot of players have inflated stolen base numbers in single A only to see their steals drop off drastically once they reach AA or AAA? I would have to see a minor league player steal bases at a higher level than single A before counting on him to do it the big leagues. I think if a player shows power at the lower levels it usually is legit though.
                There is a good deal of variability in SB totals. That's why scouting rpts are important. A great thing that BA has done recently is include links to their past scouting rpts on their player pages. I'm finding out now that this includes links to their Team Top 30 rpts, #11-#30 of which arent available during the current season unless you buy their Prospect Handbook. There are BA scouting rpts on all these guys. The rpts indicate that the speed is legit on all of them w the possible exception of Vaughn, whose scouting rpt says he has average speed. Also, Vaughn never stole more than 10 bags before this year. Still, if a guy is a good baserunner, he can consistently get a lot of SBs if he's so inclined.

Comment

Working...
                X