Clear All

• Who closes for Detroit next season?

Benoit?
    Alburquerque?
    Other(s)?

Thanks.

Rafael Soriano?

Comment

Have they ruled out re-signing Valverde?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        To my knowledge, not officially. But I would be shocked if they re-sign him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Rafael Soriano?
          I could see this.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            I could see this.
            Would love it!

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              No, but it'd be a big surprise to me to see him back. I'd also hang myself. Benoit might get a shot, he's being paid a pretty penny. Or they could try Rondo, Al-Al or Villarreal. Plenty of power closer-esque arms in Detroit. ZERO need to re-sign someone who should be a 7th inning guy at best at this point. Hell, I'd rather see Dotel re-upped and put into the ninth.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                I could see this.
                I don't think Detroit would sign him to the type of contract he'll be looking for if he opts out of his current one with the Yankees.

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
                  I don't think Detroit would sign him to the type of contract he'll be looking for if he opts out of his current one with the Yankees.
                  yeah, the more I look into the numbers the less I think Soriano is likely to move. he's due 14 million next year in NY; for a comparator, Joe Nathan signed with Texas last winter for 14.75 M - over two years! even Papelbon's contract at 50M over 4 years comes to 12.5M per ... so will someone be willing to give Soriano a 3 or 4 year deal - doubtful. So I take it all back ... I can't see it.

to the original question - if I were a betting man I'd go with Benoit.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

What is up with Valverde dry-humping before every pitch?
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      What is up with Valverde dry-humping before every pitch?
                      That's what dogs do.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by pjs24 View Post
                        No, but it'd be a big surprise to me to see him back. I'd also hang myself. Benoit might get a shot, he's being paid a pretty penny. Or they could try Rondo, Al-Al or Villarreal. Plenty of power closer-esque arms in Detroit. ZERO need to re-sign someone who should be a 7th inning guy at best at this point. Hell, I'd rather see Dotel re-upped and put into the ninth.
                        Agree - Detroit has zero need to drop $10-14 mil/year into a closer with that roster of quality arms they already have. I don't buy the mantra "anyone can close" or even "anyone with talent can close", but I believe one of those guys would pan out well.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yeah, I guess they probably won't bring him back.

Comment

I have only been watching baseball for 43 years or so, but I cannot think of a dumber managerial decision than Leyland in that inning.

You are ahead 4-0, and have 4 or 5 relievers left.
                            The only one with even a slight chance of allowing 4 runs is Valverde.
                            Well, then we know which one to go with!

Then, once you can see that your hunch has failed and that the evil Valverde has returned a la Arizona, Houston, and Detroit, you allow him to walk Teixeira, then pitch to IBANEZ.

Even if you win the game anyway, you have (thankfully) lost Valverde for tomorrow, and maybe any other games at Yankee Stadium in the series (and maybe beyond the Bronx).

You have skipped the option of having a fresh, unscarred Valverde available for Game 2.
                            After having a 4-run lead.

The mind boggles.
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Its typical Leyland. He has put Valverde in that situation multiple times this year and the results are usually the same as tonight. Valverde can't pitch in those situations and Leyland can't learn from his mistakes.
                              Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                              Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

Working...
                              X