Does anyone have a rule for this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a rule for this?

In both of my leagues, several bottom teams dumped all their good players (for the most part) for keepers (most of them just middle-of-the-road value guys at best) and now I have been informed that those teams are now quitting the league.

This means that in addition to replacing those teams, we would have to convince the incoming owner to take on a bottom team that is rebuilding...which wont be easy and could threaten to cripple the leagues altogether.

Does anyone have a rule (or an idea for one) to prevent dumping and then jumping ship? Or is this just, as they said in Full Metal Jacket, "a big sh#t sandwich and we all have to take a bite."

Thanks.

It depends how many keepers you allow. If you allow 10 or more you could run it like an expansion draft, allow all returning teams protect their top (3-5 depending on the league), let the new guys 'steal' a protect until there is a more favorable balance. Make it so when you lose one, you can protect 3 more so the pain gets spread out, nobody loses any of their top guys.
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Yeah, there's no way to enforce a penalty on someone who dumps and jumps ship, so as Grinch noted, the best you can probably do is give the new owners an expansion draft option rather than compelling them to take on a lousy team as is.

Comment

another option that I have negotiated in a couple leagues is to give new managers a discount on their first season if the team is obviously noncompetitive. but yeah, not much you can do to the departing owners.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
          It depends how many keepers you allow. If you allow 10 or more you could run it like an expansion draft, allow all returning teams protect their top (3-5 depending on the league), let the new guys 'steal' a protect until there is a more favorable balance. Make it so when you lose one, you can protect 3 more so the pain gets spread out, nobody loses any of their top guys.
          Agree with this.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

we ran an expansion draft when we had to replace three teams one year, we keep up to 8 normally, so we let every existing team keep 5, and if one of the new teams picked a player off of an existing roster, the existing owner got to protect up to two more players.
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
            X