Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony LaRussa question

I listened to Tony today on ESPN radio.

He said, "I miss the winning and losing. I don't miss the dugout. That's why, at some point, I'll be with a team's office someplace...I do not miss the dugout"

What is he talking about? How can you miss winning and losing, but not miss the dugout? Is he talking about player drama or what? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

At 68 years old and after being in baseball for approximately 50 years as a player and a manager, he's probably looking for a part-time job just to stay close to the game. With 50 years of service, he deserves it.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

LaRussa seemed to be engaged in an inordinate number of public player feuds - Ozzie Smith, Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, Ryan Ludwick, Colby Rasmus, Ron Gant, and Tino Martinez, just off the top of my head, and that's just during his time in St. Louis. Tony was always a "my way or the highway" kind of guy, and he took it very personally when players weren't on board with his program, especially when they were vocal about it.
      Last edited by senorsheep; 09-27-2012, 12:32 PM.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

I think a lot of us would probably say that we like the substance of our job but not the politics. I know that I'd be happy as a manager to never have to deal with "personnel" issues. My only question vis-a-vis LaRussa's statement is whether he'd actually be able to avoid those types of conflicts working in a team's front office.

Comment

Baseball season is a real grind. It's somewhat that way for the front office, too, but I think especially so for the players and coaches. That's what I read into his comments about "the dugout", but I also could be totally off base.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Thanks everybody! :-)

Comment

Working...
            X