Leon'ys Martin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leon'ys Martin?

Anyone know which team Leon'ys Martin might sign with, and any guess what level he'll start? Any hope at all he could be in mlb in 2011?

thanks,
    minnehan

Martin, 22, is a left-handed hitting outfielder "whose best tools are his speed and defense," according to Baseball America's John Manuel, who also notes that Martin had a .492 OBP during the 08-09 season in Cuba's top professional league and "showed at least average range" in center field. Martin was a bench player for Cuba during the 2009 World Baseball Classic, picking up two hits in seven at-bats.

According to Arangure, Martin is "considered an elite prospect" who looks to earn more than Adeiny Hechavarria and Jose Iglesias, two other recent high-profile Cuban signings. Hechavarria inked a four-year, $10MM contract with Toronto in April, while Iglesias signed a four-year, $8.25MM deal with Boston in July 2009.

Leon'ys Martin is likely to be declared a free agent possibly as soon as this week, ESPN's Jorge Arangure (Twitter …

If I had to guess, I'd say the Angels still have cash to spend, but they don't really need speedy defensive outfielders. I am not sure I see the Jays making another Cuban signing already. Would Texas jump in?

Looking for 8-10mil puts a lot of teams out of reach (the Pirates have signed some relatively high-profile international guys but that is probably a bit rich for them)

If he was a bench guy in the WBC I'd guess he needs some more time in the minors. Maybe High-A, or Double-A if they want to push him?

Comment

Working...
    X