5x5 Mixed draft results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5x5 Mixed draft results

What is the wisdom of the Penners? What do you think of this roster in a 12-team Mixed traditional 5x5 league, daily transactions? We did an email snake draft, which was actually quite a bit of fun. We completed the draft in less than a week.

C Matt Wieters
    C Miguel Montero
    1B Joey Votto
    3B Pedro Alvarez
    CI Adam Dunn
    2B Neil Walker
    SS Alexei Ramirez
    MI Chone Figgins
    OF Matt Kemp
    OF Nelson Cruz
    OF Justin Upton
    OF BJ Upton
    UT Jose Tabata
    BN Julio Borbon
    BN Andres Torres
    BN Maicer Izturis (with a small bench, wanted his versatility)

SP Hiroki Kuroda
    SP Ricky Romero
    RP Andrew Bailey
    RP JJ Putz
    P Francisco Corder
    P Leo Nunez
    P Clay Hensley
    P Jake McGee
    BN James Shields
    BN Jaime Garcia
    BN Gavin Floyd
    BN Scott Baker

In case you look at my pitching staff and wonder, I didn't select a pitcher until Rd 14. I know it's a risky strategy, but I felt I could put together a decent staff even if I waited. Eh, we'll see. With daily transactions, I'll be able to rotate my SPs in when they start.

I've got a Mariner fan already jonesing for Figgins...he picked SPs with 6 of his first 7 picks.

Thoughts?

(I love email drafting...)

Off the top of my head, I think you nailed your pitching. That's a very solid staff with a lot of upside. You're too closer-heavy for my liking but that's a position that can be fixed soon enough.

On the hitting side, if you didn't take a pitcher until the 14th you could have done better at 3B and definitely at catcher.

Comment

I was hoping for a better 3B, but they flew off the board in this draft. That said, I'll just hope Shandler is right about Alvarez this year. Posey and Santana were gone early at catcher, and I just wasn't excited about what was left. So I left the position alone for a while.

Comment

I love your offense, and your pitching is kinda ugly for a 12-team mixed. But you can sift through the WW early in the season and probably come up with something. Putz and Bailey is a great core of closers and at least 1/2 of your SPs should pan out. I know that all the sleepers/late round steals look good, but in a 12-team mixed they're probably below average in both ratio categories.

I don't like Figgins much, if you can get anything for him I'd do it now. You should still be solid in steals without him.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          I love your offense, and your pitching is kinda ugly for a 12-team mixed. But you can sift through the WW early in the season and probably come up with something. Putz and Bailey is a great core of closers and at least 1/2 of your SPs should pan out. I know that all the sleepers/late round steals look good, but in a 12-team mixed they're probably below average in both ratio categories.

I don't like Figgins much, if you can get anything for him I'd do it now. You should still be solid in steals without him.
          Hmmm... could not be more different from my comment...

Comment

I don't mind your catchers. I do like your offense. Looks like you are going to be bad in BA.

I kind of like your pitchers. Certainly some question marks, but if everything comes together this could be a very good staff.

As was said, you are good with closers and may need trade down the road.

All in all should be a fun and competitive team. One you can work with during the season.

Comment

Your offense is loaded but, although you got some nice Ps value-wise, I think you will struggle in most of the P categories except saves. IMO in 12-team mixed, you need at least one stud SP, preferably two, and you have none. But since that was your deliberate plan I think you pulled it off well but you'll need to upgrade a SP at some point, either via free agency or trade. Good luck.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I just wrote you a lengthy post, basically saying great job, lots of depth to trade from for pitching if you need it, etc., but it was accidentally deleted.

Get Shields up, he'll be great. Trade Figgins immediately, before he snaps a fetlock.

BJ Upton will never be on my team again, even if he wins the Triple Crown. He's screwed me too many times. It's personal now.

Sorry the other stuff got deleted. The "reply" buttons on this new site are messed up, in my opinion.

Hey, did you read my blog article? You've probably heard me say most of that stuff before, though.

Keep us posted on the team. Trade Figgins to the Ms guy. Trust me. You know I love you like a brother.

P.S. You wouldn't believe Robert now. Of course, you know him as "Scooter", but he changed to Robert several years ago. I still remember you and Andy being there for us when he was born.

Despite his medical problems as in infant, he is a big boy now. He'll turn 14 in less than a week. He's as tall as I am, but I am a little shorter now than I was, thanks to that back surgery.

Robert is playing in two bands now, one with kids his age, another with college kids. He's a metal guy, but can play just about anything. He plays similar to Stuart Hamm, with a strong dose of Vic Wooten. I swear he is close to being a prodigy on bass. If he sees it or hears it, he can play it, but he has been composing his own stuff for a while now. Anyway, sorry for the PS hijack, but I thought you might be interested in how he is turning out.
                Last edited by ; 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  I just wrote you a lengthy post, basically saying great job, lots of depth to trade from for pitching if you need it, etc., but it was accidentally deleted.

Get Shields up, he'll be great. Trade Figgins immediately, before he snaps a fetlock.

BJ Upton will never be on my team again, even if he wins the Triple Crown. He's screwed me too many times. It's personal now.

Sorry the other stuff got deleted. The "reply" buttons on this new site are messed up, in my opinion.

Hey, did you read my blog article? You've probably heard me say most of that stuff before, though.

Keep us posted on the team. Trade Figgins to the Ms guy. Trust me. You know I love you like a brother.

P.S. You wouldn't believe Robert now. Of course, you know him as "Scooter", but he changed to Robert several years ago. I still remember you and Andy being there for us when he was born.

Despite his medical problems as in infant, he is a big boy now. He'll turn 14 in less than a week. He's as tall as I am, but I am a little shorter now than I was, thanks to that back surgery.

Robert is playing in two bands now, one with kids his age, another with college kids. He's a metal guy, but can play just about anything. He plays similar to Stuart Hamm, with a strong dose of Vic Wooten. I swear he is close to being a prodigy on bass. If he sees it or hears it, he can play it, but he has been composing his own stuff for a while now. Anyway, sorry for the PS hijack, but I thought you might be interested in how he is turning out.
                  I did the very same thing in responding to a thread a couple of days ago, LOL. I couldn't even remember what all I typed. And please, don't apologize for updating me . We'll be down this summer for a couple weeks...we need to get together at some point...visit, show off kids, let me glean roto wisdom from you . It's pretty exciting to hear about Robert...takes after the old man with his love for music .

As for my team, I am an admitted BJ Upton and Scott Baker huer, LOL. Who was it back in our early MARBLe days that I used to by every year despite annual disappointment compared to his hype? Was it Damon?

I laughed out loud when I read "love you like a brother." Brought back good memories .

Haven't read your blog. Link?

Shields will be up for every start :-). With daily transactions, I'll be able to move my SPs up and down.

And to update everyone, though it'll probably get lost and no one will read it, LOL, but I just traded Figgins/Cordero/Putz for Soria/Lester. I'm thinking I might have given up too much because I really like Putz coming into this year, but it gives me an elite closer to go with Bailey, Nunez, and hopefully McGee plus it gives me the frontline ace that I needed on this staff.

My pitching staff is now:
                  SP Jon Lester
                  SP Hiroki Kuroda
                  SP Ricky Romero
                  SP James Shields
                  SP Jaime Garcia
                  SP Gavin Floyd
                  SP Scott Baker
                  RP Joakim Soria
                  RP Andrew Bailey
                  RP Leo Nunez
                  RP Jake McGee
                  RP Clay Hensley

I'm probably going to drop either Baker or Floyd to pick up a MR like Gregerson, Benoit, Motte, or Romo.

Comment

I love that trade. You got a top five starter (Cy Young this year?) plus a top five closer. I like Putz, too, but not as much as Soria. If you call those a wash, it was Figgins and Cordero for Lester. What a deal!

The article is "Auction Strategy and Tactics". Like I said, you may have heard it all before being in a league with me, but it might be an interesting read. It's free, but click on a couple of ads while you are there.

Here's the link: http://www.advancedfantasybaseball.com/ It's the second or third article down.

Comment

Very nice and thorough article. You passed a lot of that on to me, but it's been a long time since I've done an auction so it was a nice refresher . Looks like I'll be doing my first one in over a decade this spring.

I felt good about my draft overall, but the more I think about it, the better I feel about it now that this trade has been made. My SPs look a lot deeper, and my Closer staff looks cleaner and more effective.

Comment

That's an awesome deal for you. Good thing you know a judge to bail you out on the upcoming larceny charges

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          That's an awesome deal for you. Good thing you know a judge to bail you out on the upcoming larceny charges
                          HAHAHA!! Lucky is tha man. He got me into my first Roto Ultra single league, and he took the time to mentor a cocky college kid. When he was a prosecuting attorney, I used to leave campus and just hang out in his office (when he had time, LOL) and talk fantasy baseball. I still miss MARBLe.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman View Post
                            HAHAHA!! Lucky is tha man. He got me into my first Roto Ultra single league, and he took the time to mentor a cocky college kid. When he was a prosecuting attorney, I used to leave campus and just hang out in his office (when he had time, LOL) and talk fantasy baseball. I still miss MARBLe.
                            It was great fun. I miss those visits more than you can imagine...they turned a lot of bad days into really good days. I hope I can see you next time you are down this way.

Comment

Leon Durham for a buck?

I miss them, too. Ah, the days. I haven't had anyone to visit and talk FB with like we did since I graduated and moved .

Comment

Working...
                              X