Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does this guy have a job as a baseball executive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does this guy have a job as a baseball executive?

The following e-mail was written by Kyle Stark, Assistant General Manager of the Pittsburgh Pirates. He sent it to the Pirates minor league managers and coaches on June 28 of this year. It was copied to Pirates GM Neal Huntington. Pirates ownership never read it. Until now. If Pittsburgh is looking for a sacrificial lamb after their epic second half collapse, i think they may have just found their man. The fact that Huntington hired and promoted this boob would seem to be reason enough to make ownership take a closer look at the job he has done as well.

.................................................. ....................................

Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 5:22 PM

Subject: SECOND HALF – OUR WHAT

So what do we need to get done in the second half?

Over the last four days, we’ve reconnected with our WHY — turning boys into men so that we can re-bond a city with a baseball team and change the world through baseball. We’ve refocused and clarified our HOW — relentless, systematic and cohesive. All of these discussions have been tied to the ‘one thing’ that we need to move forward in the second half – we’ve trained them up, now we need to help them trust it and transfer it on the field. Which brings us to our WHAT …

As we talk about turning boys into men and developing them as PROs, this requires a few key characteristics. Those characteristics match our PRO values and are vividly captured by Bernie’s story about Olympic thrower Mac Wilkins and his views on what makes an Olympic champion. Mac explained that gold medal winners live by three golden rules — Dream and be creative like a Hippie. Have the discipline and perseverance of a Boy Scout. Be crazy and take risks like the Hells Angels. …

1. Dream like a Hippie — PASSION — Elite people have big dreams, are driven by those dreams, and believe that they can achieve them.

2. Prepare like a Boy Scout — RELENTLESS — Elite people have extreme work ethic, train exhaustively to get better, and prepare fully so they can be their best when their best is needed.

3. Trust like a Hell’s Angel — OWNERSHIP — Elite people trust their preparation, own their strengths and weaknesses, know what they do best and build conviction around it, and compete with reckless abandon.

The biggest impact we can have in the second half is developing more Hell’s Angels. We are really good at working before games. We excel at developing Boy Scouts. However, men play in the Big Leagues and that requires the reckless abandon of a Hell’s Angel. This is a mentality that is developed. It is a harder mentality to develop with less control, more gray area, and less science. However, it is the separation between good coaches and great ones, good development systems and great ones, and good organizations and great ones. Training guys to unleash what they’ve got is an art and needs to be our WHAT in the second half.

As you do some research on the Hell’s Angels, you come across three main qualities that set them apart and symbolize their mystique:

1. Swagger — There is an extreme confidence in themselves, their brothers, and what they’re about. They carry a chip on their shoulder and dare others to knock it off. They have an edge. Do our players have an edge? Do we have an edge? What are we doing to develop that edge?

2. Reckless abandon — Not only do they have an edge, but they live life on the edge. They’re described as free-spirited, which can be defined as somewhat irresponsible. They risk. They have no fear. They have a care-free and “care-less” attitude. You could argue that on one hand they care so much about who they are and what they do, but on the other hand they could care less in some areas such as what others think of them, of potential risks, of probabilities, etc. They’re more focused on possibilities than probabilities. They’re not consumed or swayed by what others think. They sell out to their purpose and live life fully and in-the-moment (“this pitch”). There has actually been a leadership book written about this approach to life, i.e. living life, experiencing it, and learning from your experiences. Their name comes from World War II fighting squadrons known for their extraordinary and dangerous feats of aviation. Do our players play with reckless abandon? Do we have reckless abandon? What are we doing to develop this mentality?

3. Bound by brotherhood — At the end of the day, they are fiercely loyal to each other. It is about the group and the bonds that exist between members. They can fight with each other, but someone external better not say anything negative about them. They love each other. Are our players bound by brotherhood? Are we bound by brotherhood? What are we doing to develop this bond?

As the calendar turns to July, we are selling out and committing to this approach. We’ve trained them. We need to train their trust now. Our focus should be on developing Hell’s Angels. That requires …

– Building confidence (helping players know what they do well, perfecting those traits so we’re not just working on weaknesses, speaking greatness into them, etc.)

– Encouraging risk (pushing players beyond their comfort zones, putting them in risky situations, viewing the risk as success rather than its result, celebrating risk taking, etc.)

– Going alongside them (being a ‘guide on the side’ rather than a ‘sage on the stage,’ asking questions rather than giving answers, celebrating aggressive failure and the lessons that come from it, etc.)

– Adding chaos and intensity to our training (get them out of their comfort zone, add stress, add competition to the work day, etc.)

– Preparing them to compete rather than training all the time (get the focus on the competition, shift our purpose to preparation rather than working a physical technique, outward focus rather than inward, etc.)

– Getting them outside of themselves and into the team (care about someone else, take care of each other, have each other’s back, etc.)

For this to happen, we must get out of our comfort zones and flex our own Hell’s Angel muscle. We must be extreme in our commitment to these ideas. This is ultimately about developing a mentality and a culture where this becomes our identity. A culture of risk and less control is unsettling for us control freaks! However, it is the answer to letting skill out and WHAT we need to do in the second half.

LB and Bernie will be following up with more details as we move forward. Sell out and commit to this. Coach with swagger, reckless abandon, and bounded by brotherhood and we’ll see those same traits in our players.

HOKA HEY — It’s a good day to die!!!
    .................................................. ...................................

Here's the Dejan Kovacevic article from The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
    http://triblive.com/sports/2626947-7...#axzz27598QRrh
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Because everyone above him is even more incompetent than he is? ugh.

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't get why this email is a big deal? If they were winning at the major league level no one would give it a second thought. I assume this is not his only communication with his people. The Pirates have a good farm system--how is he is incompetent? Maybe you wanna credit that to the drafting and spending on bonuses, but I guess I have a hard time pointing a finger at Stark's work as a problem.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        Am I the only one who doesn't get why this email is a big deal? If they were winning at the major league level no one would give it a second thought. I assume this is not his only communication with his people. The Pirates have a good farm system--how is he is incompetent? Maybe you wanna credit that to the drafting and spending on bonuses, but I guess I have a hard time pointing a finger at Stark's work as a problem.
        Sellout! You used to be one of us, now you're one of THEM. Booooooooooooooo.

Actually, I didn't even read it. Definitely a TL;DR for me.

Comment

I read it and was expecting some kind of prejudiced comments, but this is just a rah rah speech with a somewhat different angle. I don't see what the issue is.

EDIT -- in reading Kovacevic's column, which also says the minor leaguers were going through Navy SEAL training instead of playing ball, and the background of Stark, perhaps it shed more light on the thought of his email.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            I read it and was expecting some kind of prejudiced comments, but this is just a rah rah speech with a somewhat different angle. I don't see what the issue is.

EDIT -- in reading Kovacevic's column, which also says the minor leaguers were going through Navy SEAL training instead of playing ball, and the background of Stark, perhaps it shed more light on the thought of his email.
            Ah, I didn't know the context, and didn't see the link to the column at the bottom. In light of that, I probably have no comment.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

But they aren't winning, and lot of the problems are attributable to poor player development, poor fundamentals and a lack of productivity from the farm system. If this crap was working, then yes it would be no big deal. If a farm system churns out players like the Padres, then they can dye all their players' hair purple for I care. But when a farm system is showing a lack of fundamentals, it suggests that they should spend some more time on that and less time going through SEAL training.

Look, I manage a team (obviously not a baseball team), and I know how important it is to give them an identity and get them to work together. And for those reasons, it has some value, but if the players and the organization are bitching about it, then clearly they're not bought in and it isn't working.

Comment

Seems kind of goofy and amateur-ish to me. I'd roll my eyes if I got a memo like this from my boss.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Even if it worked for any period of time, I can't believe something like this would be sustainable. Baseball's a long enough season without some spazz trying to be Braveheart.
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Substitute "Seal Team Six" for "Hell's Angels" and this is a just a "rah rah, let's get fired up" memo....
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I'd rather dream like a hippy than smell like one.....
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I don't see the big deal.
                        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                          I don't see the big deal.
                          my career is based on people wanting to come up with stuff like this...
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                            my career is based on people wanting to come up with stuff like this...
                            Yeah, my sensitivity to this kind of motivational email may have been dulled by almost two decades in corporate America.

Comment

Definitely read the article linked. It really puts the letter into context.

The funniest/saddest part is that the guy has zero military background. If you're not prepared to undergo the same training yourself, don't push others through it. Lead by example.
                              "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                              "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Working...
                              X