Manager of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager of the Year

Is Buck Showalter a runaway winner, or do Robin Ventura, Davey Johnson & Dusty Baker make it a race?

I think it should go to Showalter, but I may be biased by how tough I still think the AL east is...maybe it isn't as tough as it usually is this year with the Sox and Yanks faltering. Still, to be able to keep winning all those closes games with inferior talent is impressive.

Comment

Padres win a WC and it's Bud Black all the way
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I believe there's one for each league. I'd give it to Showalter in a runaway in the AL, Johnson in a closer race in the NL.

Least likely? Ozzie in the NL, Bobby V in the AL.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

What? The AL should be very close between Showalter and Bob Melvin.

Comment

Melvin - A's have better record as the two teams square off tonight and he's done more with a lot less. He's still winning w/o their #1 and #2 starter and has lost Cespedes as least 2x this season

Comment

Personally I'd want Melvin but my guess is that the A's wont get any love.

Davey Johnson is probably the runaway winner in the NL point. but I think Bochy should be in it.

Comment

Hell, even MLB network radio can barely bring themselves to talk about the A's. It's all Orioles and Yankees lately, as opposed to Red Sox and Yankees.

You have to think they give it to Showalter if they make the playoffs.

Comment

I've got a lot of respect for Showalter and the O's but there's no way it would be "a runaway" over Melvin in the AL, and there's a good argument for Melvin to win IMO.

Comment

The Orioles have been outscored by their opponents 643-623, yet they are still 19 games above .500 due to them being 27-7 in one run games. I think that is a sign of a very good manager when a team can win so many one run games. I vote for Buck Showalter & Davey Johnson.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Could be. Or it could be luck, and that Melvin is more deserving for getting better performances - that is better relative offense/defense/pitching - out if his players in OAK.

Comment

Most experts projected the A's to win between 68-72 games. Probably about the same as the O's.

They are currently 83-61, and since the all-star break have gone 40-18. They recently won 12 road games in a row.

Yet the A's went into this season having lost their best batter, arguably their 2nd best batter, and their 2nd and 3rd best pitchers. AND lost their starting 3B in Spring training.

DeJesus (#3 on team in WAR)
                        Willingham (#4 WAR, #1 in RBI, #1 HR at 29 -- next best was 14)
                        Sizemore (#5 WAR)

Gio (#2 WAR, #1 wins, #1 K, #2 IP)
                        Cahill (#3 WAR, #1 IP, #2 K)

The biggest free agent acquisition (Cespedes) had never played a day in the majors or minors.

I'm biased, I know, but goodness, Melvin should be a shoe-in.

Comment

I didn't say Melvin was undeserving, but Showalter is getting the ink right now. I think that managing in the ALE works in Buck's favor in terms of exposure and perception.

I expected .450 ball from the A's and sub-.400 from the O's. Both managers have done great work (and/or have been very lucky).
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

Working...
                          X