This May Be a Dumb Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This May Be a Dumb Question...

Is Brandon McCarthy out for the year? From the way they talk about his injury it sure sounds like it but OnRoto has him as the projected starter for later this week.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
    Is Brandon McCarthy out for the year? From the way they talk about his injury it sure sounds like it but OnRoto has him as the projected starter for later this week.
    He's still in the ICU and had brain surgery this weekend, so someone better tip off onRoto he's not going to pitch this week.

Comment

He was released from the ICU but it doesn't say whether he was released from the hospital.

Brandon McCarthy (head) has been released from the intensive care unit at Summit Hospital in Oakland.
      McCarthy had surgery Wednesday after a CT scan revealed an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture, and is reportedly making progress in his recovery. We should have an update on his status later this week. Sep 9 - 8:48 PM

I can't imagine he's going to pitch this year. I ask because my league allows you to DL an injured player if he's hurt but not put on the DL in September. But I want to make sure before I activate my replacement into his spot. I have Jason Hammel waiting to replace him.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Dude, he's done.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          He was released from the ICU but it doesn't say whether he was released from the hospital.

Brandon McCarthy (head) has been released from the intensive care unit at Summit Hospital in Oakland.
          McCarthy had surgery Wednesday after a CT scan revealed an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture, and is reportedly making progress in his recovery. We should have an update on his status later this week. Sep 9 - 8:48 PM

I can't imagine he's going to pitch this year. I ask because my league allows you to DL an injured player if he's hurt but not put on the DL in September. But I want to make sure before I activate my replacement into his spot. I have Jason Hammel waiting to replace him.
          I can't imagine he pitches again this year.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I know it was a dumb question, it's just there is a penalty if I DL him and he pitches again this year so I wanted to make certain he's done. He's also at a keeper price so I didn't want to just waive him.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by SanFranciscoChronicle
              ... Doctors and the team are not even thinking about McCarthy's return to baseball yet. Paparesta said that the first consideration with such a procedure is simple survival.

"First and foremost, we need to look at his life and make sure he stays alive," he said. "This is serious stuff and we want him to live. I think the next phase we would go through is to look at his simple gross-motor mechanics and skill set to get him through his normal active life. ... Then later on down the road, we'll worry about his fine motor skills. We're just going day-to-day and making sure he's making progress."
              "We will stay cautiously optimistic at this stage," Paparesta said. "The fact that he was able to get up, sit up, feed himself, those are obviously great signs. Hopefully, he can have full function."
              http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/A-s-McCarthy-improves-still-in-danger-3849174.php#ixzz265njut00

if the bar at this point is feeding himself, I think you're pretty safe that he won't be pitching anymore this year.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                OMG, yet another reason not to use OnRoto!!!!!!

(I keed, only. Keeding.)

That stuff with McCarthy was pretty scary. Hope he's going to be ok. It doesn't get much sketchier than emergency brain surgery.
                Haha, I knew someone was going to say that about OnRoto.

Yeah, this is pretty scary. It brings injuries to a new level when they talk about how he is able to feed himself.

In a strange coincidence, in the two leagues I own him I replaced him with Hammel.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

this is how the next MLB player to die in a game will die....
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                  X