Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Kris Medlen remind anybody of Greg Maddux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Kris Medlen remind anybody of Greg Maddux?

I watched his last 8 starts on mlb.com, and he reminds me of Maddux. I'm not saying he is Maddux. Not overpowering stuff, but he can really, really command the baseball (with movement). Is it just me?

Originally posted by bendoski View Post
    I watched his last 8 starts on mlb.com, and he reminds me of Maddux. I'm not saying he is Maddux. Not overpowering stuff, but he can really, really command the baseball (with movement). Is it just me?
    He also kind of looks like Roy Oswalt to me. In one of my leagues, I had him as my best keeper (in my mind) at $1 and kept trying to trade him for a run, but no one was interested. One guy called him "a failed middle reliever." I couldn't unload him. Then Votto got injured and my whole team collapsed so I wouldn't have had a chance anyway, so now I'm "stuck" with a cheap Medlen in the middle of the pack. Sometimes things just work out for the best.

Comment

Yes, he IS the Maddux type.
      Nobody can be Maddux, but 80 pct of that would be excellent anyway.

Braves have won his last 19 starts, longest team streak since Clemens/Yankees about a dozen years ago.
      I think he lost a start himself last in 2010 or so (not that he's pitched that much).

finally got dinged today for a 2-run HR by Ronny Cedeno, but they always say, you can't stop Ronny - you only hope to contain him....
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        Yes, he IS the Maddux type.
        Nobody can be Maddux, but 80 pct of that would be excellent anyway.

Braves have won his last 19 starts, longest team streak since Clemens/Yankees about a dozen years ago.
        I think he lost a start himself last in 2010 or so (not that he's pitched that much).

finally got dinged today for a 2-run HR by Ronny Cedeno, but they always say, you can't stop Ronny - you only hope to contain him....
        Maddux was called the 2nd coming of Christy Matheson. So you could say that he is not truly unique. That is pretty fast company though.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          Maddux was called the 2nd coming of Christy Matheson. So you could say that he is not truly unique. That is pretty fast company though.

J
          thus the phrase we get to where we are on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
            He also kind of looks like Roy Oswalt to me. In one of my leagues, I had him as my best keeper (in my mind) at $1 and kept trying to trade him for a run, but no one was interested. One guy called him "a failed middle reliever." I couldn't unload him. Then Votto got injured and my whole team collapsed so I wouldn't have had a chance anyway, so now I'm "stuck" with a cheap Medlen in the middle of the pack. Sometimes things just work out for the best.
            be happy.

my biggest draft regret - i had him pegged as a late $1 target but filled up my pitching and had no room left for him.

Comment

Originally posted by nullnor View Post
              thus the phrase we get to where we are on the shoulders of giants.
              "We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants. We see more, and things that are more distant, than they did, not because our sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours."

Isaac Newton

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

But Newton wrote that letter to colleague Charles Hooke, who was really short. I recall that Stephen Jay Gould, the great scientist/writer, wrote in one of his books in the 1990s about how Newton wasn't necessarily just being poetic.

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  But Newton wrote that letter to colleague Charles Hooke, who was really short. I recall that Stephen Jay Gould, the great scientist/writer, wrote in one of his books in the 1990s about how Newton wasn't necessarily just being poetic.

Sir Isaac is not remembered as a nice man.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    Sir Isaac is not remembered as a nice man.

J
                    Hey, he did say "we".
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Working...
                    X