No announcement yet.

New Article by BullPen Member on "Auction Strategy and Tactics"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do. Last year I really only needed Roy Halladay to compliment a fabulous freeze list. He went for $66 dollars ($325 cap) and I had to drop out of the bidding, leaving him to a rebuilding team (who later traded him for a $7 Pedro Alvarez) and I had a decent rest of draft but never was able spend all that money put aside for the big hammer! The only joy was getting Brett Myers in the end game for $1, even though I budgeted $12

Comment

Originally posted by rotogod View Post
      I do. Last year I really only needed Roy Halladay to compliment a fabulous freeze list. He went for $66 dollars ($325 cap) and I had to drop out of the bidding, leaving him to a rebuilding team (who later traded him for a $7 Pedro Alvarez) and I had a decent rest of draft but never was able spend all that money put aside for the big hammer! The only joy was getting Brett Myers in the end game for $1, even though I budgeted $12
      I hope you brought him up early so you didn't leave alot of money on the table.

Comment

Very nice write up.

Comment

I want to say thanks...apparently a good number of people have checked out the article (and even clicked on a few ads), and I appreciate it. They may give me a chance to write something else. :biggrin:

Comment

Well done - I think you covered every single important aspect of a fantasy auction!

Comment

The bad news - Lucky blew it and he should have been a sportswriter, making one-third of the pay he makes now and with only 1 pct of the dignity!
              lol

The good news - very comprehensive piece that is a Holy Grail for a new player, a "wow, never thought of that" for a mid-range player, and a refresher for veteran players like those here who have already noted that.

My favorite line:

"Another is the plateau bidding. This is where you jump to a bid ending in a “9”, such as $9, $19, $29, $39, etc. The thinking is that the other bidder will be averse to taking the bid into double figures, or to the twenties, thirties, etc."

We have a former commish and 25-yr owner who, without fail, shouts out, "PSYCHOLOGICAL BARRIER!" every time auction bidding hits 10 units, which is also the future-year price of a midseason free agent pickup. Kind of a parody of itself now in an "old man's league," but we all enjoy it and it's still kinda true...
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                I want to say thanks...apparently a good number of people have checked out the article (and even clicked on a few ads), and I appreciate it. They may give me a chance to write something else. :biggrin:
                I enjoyed it so I went back and clicked a few ads. ;]

Comment

Working...
                X