Pedro Alvarez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedro Alvarez

Has this guy finally turned a corner this year to become a solid fantasy 3B? I know he's still one of the streakiest players in the game, but since May he's hit .272-36-17-43-1 in 250 ABs (not counting his 3-run HR tonight). Not suggesting that he's a .270 hitter now, but has he at least reached the point to where he'll provide a serviceable BA if you can be patient through the streaks?

An owner in a keeper league got tired of his bad streaks, and I got him pretty cheaply a few weeks ago. Now I'm wondering if he's a viable keeper consideration, lol. Possibly a .255-75-35-100 player in 2013?

Whether he's a keeper depends, as always, on the size of your league and the price at which you'd keep him. Keep in mind that 3B is not exactly a loaded position.

As a Pirate fan, my heart says, "we got a winner here", while my head, looking at the long list of first-round busts the Pirates have had in the last 20 years, is not yet ready to agree.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

He's incredibly streaky... I don't think that's ever going to change. The one encouraging thing is that he's gotten better at taking a few walks when he's scuffling. 35 bombs is asking a lot, even if he does have the talent. If he's going to go a month without a HR, 35 is tough. Could he hit 30? Sure. He's certainly an asset for the Pirates, but I'm not sure they're ready to pencil him in as the everyday cleanup hitter yet.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        He's incredibly streaky... I don't think that's ever going to change. The one encouraging thing is that he's gotten better at taking a few walks when he's scuffling. 35 bombs is asking a lot, even if he does have the talent. If he's going to go a month without a HR, 35 is tough. Could he hit 30? Sure. He's certainly an asset for the Pirates, but I'm not sure they're ready to pencil him in as the everyday cleanup hitter yet.
        Yeah, the streakiness will never go away. He's almost certainly going to hit 30 this year, unless he goes through another one of those infamous streaks to end the year. I'm looking at ~35 being a possibility for next year. Even through his streaks, he's hit .276 since May. If he hits even .250 in September, I think there is hope that he's turning a corner in his career...maybe, lol. At least it wouldn't be the ~.205 he hit in the first two months. Not thinking he's a future All-Star, but possibly a solid 3B.

As for my keeper team...12 team mixed with no salaries and an 8-man keeper list. I have a decent list and have Lawrie penciled in at 3B. Pedro could be kept at CI.

Comment

One of the oddest splits this year (it doesn't fit his prior years):

Alvarez 2012:
          Day: 38 games, .738 slugging % (!)
          Night: 90 games, .378 slugging %

The K rate is actually the same day vs night, but 16 of his 41 hits during the day have been home runs.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

He went undrafted in my 12 team mixed local (Pirate homer) league. Another team picked him up early in the year then dropped him during a slump. So, i snagged him in early June and have been loving the .270+ batting average with power ever since.

Undrafted players can be kept for $1 (+$5 in yrs 2-3) in my league, so he's an obvious keeper for me. The homer envy of my league mates is just an added bonus.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              He went undrafted in my 12 team mixed local (Pirate homer) league. Another team picked him up early in the year then dropped him during a slump. So, i snagged him in early June and have been loving the .270+ batting average with power ever since.

Undrafted players can be kept for $1 (+$5 in yrs 2-3) in my league, so he's an obvious keeper for me. The homer envy of my league mates is just an added bonus.
              I drafted him at $4 and almost traded him in April in my NL only-- Soooo glad I didn't.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Drafted him at $3 in an NL-only league. Turned down Hanley Ramirez straight up for him at our trade deadline a few weeks ago.

It's funny: Pirates fans all wanted to trade him a month ago for Chase Headley - and Headley has absolutely killed the Pirates this year. Maybe he's better but I'd still take the potential for Pedro over the 'you know what you'll get' from Headley.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Headley is having a career year this year. Certainly not "wysiwyg" territory at least. He's also a better fielder than Alvarez. But, yeah, Alvarez still has a mountain of potential and certainly has a higher ceiling in terms of power hitting than Headley. All things being equal, I'd prefer Headley.
                  How awesome would Headley be if he played in any other stadium? My goodness what a season

Comment

Nobody that I know of wanted to trade Pedro for Headley. The Pirates needed corner bats and presumably would have played Headley at first or in the outfield

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      Nobody that I know of wanted to trade Pedro for Headley. The Pirates needed corner bats and presumably would have played Headley at first or in the outfield
                      everybody on another site wanted it done. EVERYBODY (but me).

Comment

Working...
                      X