Liriano to the Yanks Rumour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liriano to the Yanks Rumour?

Bob Nightengale of USA Today told Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio on Monday that he thinks it's possible Francisco Liriano will be traded to the Yankees sometime in the next two weeks.
    We've heard discussion about the Twins possibly trading Liriano from a variety of sources, so it appears this rumor has legs. The Yankees have an obvious need in their rotation, but the Twins would be trading away the closest thing they have to an ace at the moment. According to Nightengale, the Twins would acquire either Ivan Nova or Joba Chamberlain, in addition to other pieces. Stay tuned, because it sounds like things are about to get very interesting.
    Source: Jim Bowden on Twitter Feb 28, 4:23 PM

Sweeeet! I'd heard the rumor but feared it would cost to much. Yanks scouts have been watching Liriano and Twins scouts have been watching Yanks prospects. If either of those two are the centerpiece, and neither Montero or any of the B's are included, I'm all for it. That two inning stint from Nova yesterday must have shot his value through the roof. Maybe the Twins should be in the Overract to Spring Training Games thread.
    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

If the Twins trade Liriano to the Yankees and do not get Montero, they should be contracted.

As far as Nova goes, stamina is his problem.

Code:

Split           G PA AB  R  H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/BB   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
      Pitch  1-25    10 57 52  3 11  1  0  1  0  0  5  9  1.80 .212 .281 .288 .569 15   1   0  0  0   0   0  .238    57    59
      Pitch 26-50     9 60 53  4 12  1  0  1  0  0  5 11  2.20 .226 .305 .302 .607 16   1   1  1  0   0   0  .268    67    71
      Pitch 51-75     8 55 51 11 19  5  0  2  0  0  3  5  1.67 .373 .400 .588 .988 30   0   0  0  1   1   0  .378   169   166
      Pitch 76-100    5 12  8  2  2  1  0  0  0  0  4  1  0.25 .250 .500 .375 .875  3   1   0  0  0   1   0  .286   144   137
      Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
      Generated 2/28/2011.

Comment

Don't get too excited yet. You don't know what the other pieces are. I would trade Nova AND Chamberlain in a heartbeat and be excited about it, even if a few B level prospects are thrown in. But I don't think the Yanks are getting him for Nova and fringe prospects.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Ivan Nova = Eric Milton

Comment

MLBTradeRumors says there is nothing to the Liriano rumors.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman told Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com that no matter what you've heard about Francisco Liriano or anyone else, the Yankees aren't pursuing trades for starting pitching (Twitter link)...

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

"Bubba Crosby is our starting centerfielder."
              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                If the Twins trade Liriano to the Yankees and do not get Montero, they should be contracted.
                Not a good fit for Montero, though. With Mauer at catcher and Morneau at first, there really isn't a good place to put him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                  Not a good fit for Montero, though. With Mauer at catcher and Morneau at first, there really isn't a good place to put him.
                  Considering his future position might be DH even if he stays with the Yanks, there's a fit in Minnesota. Not that I want the Yanks to trade him but I understand if they have to.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                    "Bubba Crosby is our starting centerfielder."
                    Good point.

I'm just presenting what is being reported.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      Oh bull****. Who is more likely to be a major contributor to the Yankees over the next ten years, a guy whose arm is held on with a stripped screw and some duct tape or Montero? Montero has done zero at the big league level yet, true... but the potential there is just so much greater than there is for Liriano to bring in a World Series on his own this year that it would be idiotic to move Montero for him. If Liriano were the one piece this team needed to win the World Series this year, you'd have to consider it. With Liriano in hand and Mitre/Colon/Garcia/Nova still starting 20% of the games? No thanks.

Risk does not equal reward in this case.
                      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                        Oh bull****. Who is more likely to be a major contributor to the Yankees over the next ten years, a guy whose arm is held on with a stripped screw and some duct tape or Montero? Montero has done zero at the big league level yet, true... but the potential there is just so much greater than there is for Liriano to bring in a World Series on his own this year that it would be idiotic to move Montero for him. If Liriano were the one piece this team needed to win the World Series this year, you'd have to consider it. With Liriano in hand and Mitre/Colon/Garcia/Nova still starting 20% of the games? No thanks.

so that's pretty good reasoning on why you think if the Yanks trade Montero for Liriano, that the Yanks should be contracted, but it doesn't do anything to argue against MJ's point.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post

The Twins control him for another 2 seasons and he would easily be the top pitcher available. To sell him off for Joba, whose shoulder is questionable as well, or a back end guy like Nova would be Johan Santana 2.0 all over again. That trade sucked for the Twins and they hopefully have learned how to properly value staff aces this time around.

I know this is a foreign concept to Yankees fans, but you have to give something to get something

Comment

That's so tired, Jason. Liriano is in no way Johan Santana given the injury history, even if Santana's post-trade career might be instructional in determining what to expect from a guy with a bad arm like Liriano. What perhaps you (and ElDiablo...) need to understand is that when medical track records come into play, value is impacted. The risk is far too high to pay anything close to full freight on this guy, especially when that full price is a player who everyone sees as being hugely impactful over the coming decade. Look at it this way-- would you have traded a prospect like Longoria for this guy?
                            "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Won't matter either way-- Red Sox are winning the division easy.
                              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X