Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games for testing positive for Testosterone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    Wow. This has got to add up to more than a 50 game suspension, no? Pre-meditated deception, and then callously lying to baseball officials?
    This could add up to a federal fraud charge for somebody from what I have read. Again, couldn't happen to a nicer guy. And, yes, I now revoke all credit I gave. Dude is a tool.

Comment

Melky Cabrera asked to be excluded from NL BA title consideration, and MLB & the MLBPA agreed, voting that anyone suspended for PEDs cannot be eligible for a 2012 BA, SLG or OBP title.

It remains to be seen if this will continue in future seasons.

Comment

Melky Cabrera asked to be excluded from NL BA title consideration, and MLB & the MLBPA agreed, voting that anyone suspended for PEDs cannot be eligible for a 2012 BA, SLG or OBP title.

I'd say classy move but I'm sure it was motivated by the fact that they were looking into further punishment for the stupid cover up attempt.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I have no problems with this in this case, but that was no part of the agreement that was ratified so I wouldn't count on it going much further. The was MLB and MLBPA simply going along with Cabrera's wishes, which were probably motivated by a nod to Posey who has a chance now.

What if a player is suspended 50 games and that suspension loops over into a second season; would he not be eligible for awards in either season? Seems like a double punishment to me, which I am fine with, as long as it is fair for every player.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
            What if a player is suspended 50 games and that suspension loops over into a second season; would he not be eligible for awards in either season? Seems like a double punishment to me, which I am fine with, as long as it is fair for every player.
            I think it would just be the first season. Because it would be assumed that the player has stopped using PEDs in the second season. And, i'm sure they would be tested more often after the positive test.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

It's not that anyone suspended for PED use can't be considered for a batting title. It's that anyone suspended can't benefit from the "we'll add hitless at bats to your total until you get the needed number to qualify" exception to the minimum playing time requirement.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
              X