Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traded Tulowitzki

Feeling depressed.

I have had him since I drafted him for $6 in his rookie year. He was still cheap this year. $22. $26 next year.

I am in first place, though, and want to stay there.

Traded

Tulowitzki/Everth Cabrera, Bud NOrris and Wandy Rodriguez
    for
    Willie Bloomquist, Jair Jurrjens and Cole Hamels.

Hamels is $30 this year. $34 next year.

NL-only. 4 x 4.

Trading for Jurrjens allows me to upgrade from Bud Norris because he's on the DL.

Bloomquist is a bum, but not much else I could do there.

God I hate trading my best player.

I must have misread something...you said Jurrjens was an upgrade?

This trade seems horrible for you if you are trying to win this year and even worse if you are looking to next year. Tulo is cheap at $26 next year while none of the players you got back are keepers at that price in a NL 4x4.

If you are trying to win this year then Tulo will be back for a month. Meanwhile Bloom is injured with a nagging back issue, Jurrjens is terrible and Hamels is a step up over Wandy but not worth the stolen bases of Cabrera as a difference.

I don't understand this deal for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker765 View Post
      I must have misread something...you said Jurrjens was an upgrade?

This trade seems horrible for you if you are trying to win this year and even worse if you are looking to next year. Tulo is cheap at $26 next year while none of the players you got back are keepers at that price in a NL 4x4.

If you are trying to win this year then Tulo will be back for a month. Meanwhile Bloom is injured with a nagging back issue, Jurrjens is terrible and Hamels is a step up over Wandy but not worth the stolen bases of Cabrera as a difference.

I don't understand this deal for you.
      Yes, Jurrjens is an upgrade. It allows me to pick up a pitcher who can put up average numbers to replace Bud Norris, who sucks (and will now pitch well because I said so).

Cole Hamels is a HUGE upgrade over Wandy. Wandy's ERA is over 5 since June 1 and his WHIP is over 1.4.

Cabrera has 4 steals in the past month. Bloomquist has 2. Not a huge difference. If he's hurt, he's hurt. Cabrera is a batting average anchor too.

Comment

Jurrjens is hurt as well and won't have a rotation spot if he comes back. They might leave him in AAA. I have to agree that this is not a good deal for you. When trading a keeper stud like Tulo you should never be getting scrubs like Bloomquist and Jurrjens back.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          Jurrjens is hurt as well and won't have a rotation spot if he comes back. They might leave him in AAA. I have to agree that this is not a good deal for you. When trading a keeper stud like Tulo you should never be getting scrubs like Bloomquist and Jurrjens back.
          I concur. I always seem to have Tulo ranked a few notches below most, but this deal basically comes down to Hamels for Tulo. I couldn't trade Tulo to just get Hamels, especially since he costs more.

Comment

Not to pile on, but I agree with everyone else here. Mediocre at best deal for this year. Terrible deal for the future.

I think you might have once again fallen victim to your homerism sir.

Jurrjens has been awful this year and I don't see him getting a rotation spot when he's healthy. If Jurrjens is an upgrade to any starting pitcher on your roster right now, you have bigger problems than trading Tulo away.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              Not to pile on, but I agree with everyone else here. Mediocre at best deal for this year. Terrible deal for the future.

I think you might have once again fallen victim to your homerism sir.

Jurrjens has been awful this year and I don't see him getting a rotation spot when he's healthy. If Jurrjens is an upgrade to any starting pitcher on your roster right now, you have bigger problems than trading Tulo away.
              OH MY GOD. Can anyone on this site actually read and comprehend what I wrote?

1) There is no homerism at play. I HATE the Phillies. I am a Pirates fan.
              2) I did not trade for Jurrjens. I traded for the OPEN ROSTER SPOT that Jurrjens allows me to have ... therefore, allowing me to pick up a league average pitcher to fill in the spot where Bud Norris (5.07 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 0 wins since MAY 21) was languishing.

Is that incomprehensible to you guys? I could care less about JJ. He will NEVER be on my active roster. The trade was simple: Tulowitzki for Hamels and an upgrade to Norris. I think it's a win for this year and it gives me a chance to win.

Comment

We don't have your specific league rules so how are we to know that you couldn't just dump Bud Norris if you didn't want him? That is the disconnect here, information that you seem to have left out. I did a quick look and still didn't see that tidbit in your first post. Perhaps it's somewhere else.

I'm still not sure it's a good deal but if it secures the title for you then that's great. Congrats (that's a sincere congrats, sometimes it's hard to tell in text).
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Wow, nice to see you're still as charming as you used to be Weiser.

Now that you've clarified it appears the deal is just Tulo and Wandy for Hamels and a theoretical upgrade to Norris...I still don't like it.

I would have stood pat or traded a lesser piece for a lesser pitcher than Hamels and hung onto a cheap Tulowitzki. Wandy has struggled lately, but to include him in a deal and treat him as a non-factor seems a bit short sighted. Assuming Hamels gives you more value for the rest of the season than Tulo & Wandy then at best seems like a deal you didn't need to make. There is always the possibility that Tulo could come back and contribute in September and Wandy pitches well enough to make the impact of Hamels on your stats negligible at this point.
                  Last edited by Stephen; 08-10-2012, 05:22 PM. Reason: Removed a little bit of snark.

Comment

Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
                    OH MY GOD. Can anyone on this site actually read and comprehend what I wrote?

1) There is no homerism at play. I HATE the Phillies. I am a Pirates fan.
                    2) I did not trade for Jurrjens. I traded for the OPEN ROSTER SPOT that Jurrjens allows me to have ... therefore, allowing me to pick up a league average pitcher to fill in the spot where Bud Norris (5.07 ERA, 1.43 WHIP, 0 wins since MAY 21) was languishing.

Is that incomprehensible to you guys? I could care less about JJ. He will NEVER be on my active roster. The trade was simple: Tulowitzki for Hamels and an upgrade to Norris. I think it's a win for this year and it gives me a chance to win.
                    I didn't realize that:

"Yes, Jurrjens is an upgrade. It allows me to pick up a pitcher who can put up average numbers to replace Bud Norris, who sucks (and will now pitch well because I said so)."

means that : yes I will trade for Jurrjens and then not use him and since my league has some weird rule that I can't replace a player unless he is hurt and then I could then go to the waiver wire and find some other pitcher that is miraculously league average and still available in a NL-only league and hasn't been picked up before now despite being better than 50% of the pitchers in the league.

My bad.

Comment

IMO, it was a bad trade on your part, you traded away 2 starting shortstops for hamels who prob costs more than the two combine...

Comment

Originally posted by tinitoys View Post
                        IMO, it was a bad trade on your part, you traded away 2 starting shortstops for hamels who prob costs more than the two combine...
                        cabrera is useless. he's a .230 who runs very little. he'll be $10 to keep next year. think he's worth that?

to those confused by my OP, i apologize, i thought it was pretty clear that picking up jurrjens for norris allowed me to make a move i wouldn't otherwise be able to make. that really wasn't a factor in making the trade. i added that after we had already agreed to basically swap hamels for tulo.

anyone who thinks hamels isn't a significant upgrade over wandy is just not paying attention. sorry if that offends anyone, but wandy had a 5-plus ERA since june 1 and a whip of over 1.4. you don't think hamels will be 3 or below in his final 8 or so starts?

fwiw, i will keep hamels for 2013. Hamels will $34 for 2013, the top of what i am willing to pay for someone like him. with him and matt cain ($30) and ian kennedy ($15) and kyle lohse ($7) i will be building my team around the pitching and the offense i can hold over. i will also have two closer (putz-$19, motte-$10) so I will probably fill in 3 $1 pitchers.

Comment

Working...
                        X