streaming 2-start pitcher time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• streaming 2-start pitcher time?

12-team mixed 5x5. Here are the standings in the pitching categories. I've marked the numbers for the guy in first and me (in second):

W: 67 (first), 66 (me), 66, 66, 66, 62, 61, 59, 54, 51, 49, 48
    SV: 93, 78, 62 (first), 60, 55, 48, 41, 39, 35 (me), 34, 27, 25 (just traded for three closers)
    ERA: 3.37, 3.63, 3.66, 3.75 (me), 3.77, 3.79, 3.87 (first), 3.95, 3.99, 4.16, 4.26, 4.40
    WHIP: 1.171, 1.202, 1.238, 1.245 (first), 1.250, 1.258 (me), 1.258, 1.294, 1.301, 1.308, 1.321, 1.336
    K: 1019, 900, 889, 883 (first), 867, 854, 847 (me), 845, 802, 763, 742, 727

how crazy should I get with trying to get two-start pitchers? It looks like there's a lot more ground to be made from moving up in W/K than there is to be lost in SV, and I don't know how to judge how much I'm going to move in ERA and WHIP.

For example, the top 2-start pitchers that I can try to FAAB this week are Westbrook, Corbin, Deduno, Colon, Detwiler. Should I be wanting to start guys like that over Haren or over closers? Should I be running any closers at all?

My current starters for next week are Price, Haren, Fiers (2start), Diamond (2start), Tillman (2start), Villanueva (2start), EJackson (2start), and two out of JMcDonald, Frieri, JJohnson, Janssen, and anyone I pick up.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Good managing!!! At this point one or two bad starts are not going to do anything to your ratios. I would definitely load up on 2 start guys to break up the W logjam before someone else does.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I'm not sure yet. Today certainly went well except for Clippard blowing the save in Houston. We do use FAAB, but nobody else seems to get into streaming pitchers the way I do and we use Vickrey, so I basically spend $2/week on pitching and my hitting is solid enough that I'm not having to use FAAB on that side.

I picked up Westbrook and Corbin and then used Frieri this week over Villanueva since he got pulled out of at least one start. I have $44 left in FAAB and I'm spending $2 or $3 a week so I should be able to do this for a while, or at least until I figure out if I need to bring the closers back in or if there aren't good 2-start candidates.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I don't have any quantitative analysis behind it, but except in cases that emerge the final couple of weeks of the season I don't do anything drastic with streaming in weekly leagues. Played well, there are as many points to be gained in SV's + ERA + WHIP as there are W's + K's. I'm all for rotating the guys on the end of the bench, but wouldn't be so quick to bench guys like Johnson in a good matchup 1 start week (if J Mac gets right, him too) and Janssen for schmos like these guys. A little too reckless and the points you've gained in W's and K's are offset by the losses in ERA and WHIP, could easily drop 3 points and maybe more.

Comment

oh, right, multiple JJohnsons. That's Jim, the BAL closer, not Josh. I had been starting McDonald every week -- this is the first week I'm benching him.

I think the main reason nobody but me is streaming, now that I look closer, is that the other teams either went super-heavy pitching in the auction (that team's worst starter is Darvish) or pulled off dump trades such that there's a bigger gap in pitcher quality than I have. I have very solid hitting but my pitching has gotten pretty questionable since Haren turned mediocre and McCarthy and Hammel got hurt.

Comment

Working...
          X