• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T. Snider to Pirates

for brad lincoln - per many sources
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

not sure what the jays are up to. snider finally looked to have turned the proverbial corner.

just one man's opinion, i guess. he's burned many before, but he is still quite young.
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
      not sure what the jays are up to. snider finally looked to have turned the proverbial corner.

just one man's opinion, i guess. he's burned many before, but he is still quite young.
      Agreed, give this kid a decent run without being jerked around and I think that you'll see a very solid, to very good, major league player. Nice deal for the Pirates, Lincoln is a reliever,. not much more...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I like it. 4 months ago you couldn't have gotten Duke Snider for Lincoln... the Pirates found him a home in the bullpen. He'll be a good reliever but he's clearly not a starter, and I'm not sure he's a closer. A fine 8th inning guy... is that what Jays fans wanted for Snider?

Snider is basically the outfielder version of Pedro Alvarez, so I'm hoping the Pirates can figure him out. I'm assuming he'll play mostly RF, with Garrett Jones moving into a platoon with Casey McGehee at 1B. Snider might benefit from a platoon partner too, but I'm not sure who that would be. This probably locks Marte into the leadoff spot, for better or worse, since there's no room for another move and nobody else can do it.

Since Snider is a lefty, the Bucs might send down Presley, but it would make more sense to get rid of Drew Sutton who can't hit anyone lately.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          A fine 8th inning guy... is that what Jays fans wanted for Snider?
          nope.

I thought Snider would be a good fit in LF for us, and in the middle of the lineup. in a couple of years he'll be going .280-30-90 ... not sure where Lincoln will be.

AA's done a great job so far obviously so he'll get a lot of leeway, but this trade will start people wondering. I'm cautiously hopeful that there's something else lined up for today.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Maybe I'm just a jaded former owner (of both) but I get the feeling Snider is Brandon Wood version 2.0
            Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

I like this one too. Pirates get the left handed power hitter that they needed without having to give up any top prospects. And i also hear that he is a plus defender with a good arm in right field, which is another thing that they needed.

Good comparison to Alvarez JC. Hurdle will probably give him the same long leash that Alvarez received. Though, i'm hoping that Snider hits for a better average than Pedro. He'll definitely like the short porch in right. Looking forward to a few shots into the Allegheny River from him.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Interesting notes from the Pirates' beat writer:

Here are some details of the Pirates' pursuit of Hunter Pence and Shane Victorino: The Pirates made several offers for both. But the Phillies asked for Brad Lincoln, Bryan Morris and a third piece for Victorino. Pence was complex. The Phillies asked for Starling Marte, Lincoln and a third piece depending on money involved. Also wanted an infielder the Pirates didn't have to give up.

Here's another one that was on the table for the Pirates, one that -- unlike the Philly offers -- I'd have considered: The Padres' ask for Chase Headley was three-fold: 1. A top-5 prospect. 2. Lincoln or the lottery pick. 3. Additional piece.

Two more sets of details on the Pirates' offers/asks, these related to finding a leadoff-type hitter: On Denard Span, Team offered No. 6-10-type prospect and lottery pick, didn't come close. Twins' ask was top-5 prospect, young major-leaguer and lottery pick. Crazy. Even worse was Shin Soo Choo. Indians STARTED with Cole or Taillon, plus another top-10 prospect and a third piece.

Comment

People are used to ripping the Pirates off
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    Interesting notes from the Pirates' beat writer:

Here are some details of the Pirates' pursuit of Hunter Pence and Shane Victorino: The Pirates made several offers for both. But the Phillies asked for Brad Lincoln, Bryan Morris and a third piece for Victorino. Pence was complex. The Phillies asked for Starling Marte, Lincoln and a third piece depending on money involved. Also wanted an infielder the Pirates didn't have to give up.

Here's another one that was on the table for the Pirates, one that -- unlike the Philly offers -- I'd have considered: The Padres' ask for Chase Headley was three-fold: 1. A top-5 prospect. 2. Lincoln or the lottery pick. 3. Additional piece.

Two more sets of details on the Pirates' offers/asks, these related to finding a leadoff-type hitter: On Denard Span, Team offered No. 6-10-type prospect and lottery pick, didn't come close. Twins' ask was top-5 prospect, young major-leaguer and lottery pick. Crazy. Even worse was Shin Soo Choo. Indians STARTED with Cole or Taillon, plus another top-10 prospect and a third piece.
                    If so, I give the Pirates plenty of credit for NOT doing those deals (though the Headley one may have warranted consideration). I'm not a Pirates fan, though; maybe fans would rather see the team trade someone for a finish above .500?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                      If so, I give the Pirates plenty of credit for NOT doing those deals (though the Headley one may have warranted consideration). I'm not a Pirates fan, though; maybe fans would rather see the team trade someone for a finish above .500?
                      There are kids who've started their college years who have never known the Pirates to have finished over .500. As much as we Pirate fans want our team to make the playoffs, we'll settle for 82-80 if need be. However, as much as I want them to finish over .500, none of those deals made sense in the long run, so I commend management not being as desperate as the fans.

But man, if the Pirates finish under .500 again, it's gonna suck like being a Bengals or Browns fan.
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

The Twins are idiots not to move Span for what the Pirates supposedly offered. CF is the one place that they can afford to deal, slide revere over and call Parmalee up to play right. Sh!t, it's not like this team is going anywhere for at least 2-3 years, pitching at the majors level is horrible, and there's nothing in the minors either...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          The Twins are idiots not to move Span for what the Pirates supposedly offered. CF is the one place that they can afford to deal, slide revere over and call Parmalee up to play right. Sh!t, it's not like this team is going anywhere for at least 2-3 years, pitching at the majors level is horrible, and there's nothing in the minors either...
                          Twins' ask was a top-5 prospect, a young major leaguer and the Pirates' comp pick. I wonder who the Pirates' #5 is. Alen Hanson maybe? Or Gregory Polanco? I assume that Marte, Cole, Taillon, Heredia are 1-4, and I would guess Marte is the guy the Twins wanted.

Marte, Brad Lincoln and the Pirates' comp pick for Span would have been a pretty hefty price for the Bucs. I wouldn't have killed them for it, but Marte, Snider and Gaby Sanchez for the same haul is probably better.

Comment

Working...
                          X