No announcement yet.

Trade help needed. Pitcher vs. Hitter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade help needed. Pitcher vs. Hitter.

I know is is hard to value pitcher vs. catcher trades. But I find myself thinking I really need another starting pitcher, since they are flying apart at an alarming rate.

So here's the deal. I have Eric Hosmer in the second year of a three year contract at $10. If desired, he could be extended through 2014 for an extra $5.

I'm trying to get Jordan Zimmerman, who I would have through 2014 at $11 with no extensions.

Hosmer's year has been plagued by a bad average, but he has shown some pop and the ability to steal a few bases. And he's on a team which should get better and better. I think he BAVG will level our pretty soon.

So, do I make this deal?

WARNING: THIS POST HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THE BOXSCORE LEAGUE.

Yes, I think that's reasonable. Zimm is a pretty comparable value to Hosmer.

That said, I love Hosmer and I would want to be damn sure I really did need another SP before pulling the trigger.

Comment

In days long ago as I sat in your office and you tutored me in the ways of rotoball, you advised me against trading a hitter for a pitcher because pitchers are such crapshoots and are greater injury risks. Zimmermann has missed time due to injuries in 2009, 2010, and 2011, and I'm not sure that I'd be willing to take that risk at the cost of a young up-and-coming 1B with SB potential. I see 2012 as a classic sophomore slump for Hosmer and am hopeful for a rebound next year.

Where are you in the standings? Is this a deal that increases your money spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman View Post
        In days long ago as I sat in your office and you tutored me in the ways of rotoball, you advised me against trading a hitter for a pitcher because pitchers are such crapshoots and are greater injury risks. Zimmermann has missed time due to injuries in 2009, 2010, and 2011, and I'm not sure that I'd be willing to take that risk at the cost of a young up-and-coming 1B with SB potential. I see 2012 as a classic sophomore slump for Hosmer and am hopeful for a rebound next year.

Where are you in the standings? Is this a deal that increases your money spot?
        I've been in first place for the last five weeks or so. In daily standings, I went down to #2 today. I somehow found myself with six decent starters (the worst one is Gavin Floyd, the best is Verlander) and five closers (Hanrahan, Motte, Casilla, Janssen and Perez). My concern is losing a starting pitcher and not being able to put another starter in for him. While Haren and Floyd were down recently, I lost a lot of ground in Ks and Wins.

I think I'll hold Hosmer. I guess I should work harder to trade one of these closers.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

I really like Hosmer, but you know very well that when I fall in love with a player, I'll sink with him. Who was the KC player I hitched my wagon to way too many times? That said, I expect Hosmer to be up for a big rebound year in 2013...have even entertained offering Butler for him straight up in my keeper league, lol.

I assume that you lead the Saves cat? Where do you stand there? If you have a fairly comfortable lead there, my temptation would be to trade one of them for an insurance SP.

Comment

My take...

This is a fair deal, two players of equal value, one a hitter and one a pitcher. This is why you should not do this deal. If I'm giving up a cheap Hosmer, I want TWO Zimmermans just to make sure I have one spare for when the first one goes down.

But, that's just me.

I also feel that way on the other end. I figure if I'm giving up pitching for hitting, it's pretty much on a two-for-one basis. Now, if they want to give you Zimmerman and another comparable pitcher, I'd do it.

Comment

Hmmmm....yeah, I understand the principle of not trading hitting for pitching, and that starting pitchers, in general, suck and will break your heart faster than the hot cheerleader you had a crush on in high school. But, this time of year, it's time to adhere to the second most important principle of fantasy baseball - flags fly forever. Sure, if you can spare a closer and can deal one for a SP of JordZim's quality, great. But let's assume you can't.

Key question - who replaces Hosmer? How much power and SBs do you lose with that person in the lineup?

I like this deal from the view that JordZim is a significant, quantifiable upgrade to Gavin Floyd. Floyd then becomes your SP insurance. You get an upgrade and a nice insurance policy. If the cost for that upgrade and insurance isn't too steep from a hitting standpoint, I'd go for it.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Who replaces Hosmer? Right now, the roster is pretty flexible. I have Fielder, Headley and Corey Hart at my corners. David Ortiz is on the bench because he's on the DL. Right now, Hosmer is riding the pine because he has been stinking the place up so badly. That does force me to use Craig Gentry as my UT. He and Headley are the two weakest spots on my offense.

Truth be told, I could spend Hosmer and a closer (like Casilla) for a good starting pitcher and not be hurt too badly. Trading Casilla would still leave me with four closers.

The other guy wants Hosmer and Casey Janssen ($5 first year of contract) for Zimm, but I think that is too steep. I don't think I should have to give up two good keepers just to get Zimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  The other guy wants Hosmer and Casey Janssen ($5 first year of contract) for Zimm, but I think that is too steep. I don't think I should have to give up two good keepers just to get Zimm.
                  I agree with you. I'd expect you could find even better than Zimmerman at that price.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                  X