No announcement yet.

Pirates close on Wandy Rodriguez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, Kevin Seitzer spends several years stealing championships from me in my main fantasy league (MSGL), and now he's moved on to hustling my Blue Jays, the Marlins, and now the Pirates, picking up interesting prospects for all of their expendables. He's such a pest, that guy. Pretty excited for the Astros move to the AL with the direction that org is currently heading.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
      First, Kevin Seitzer spends several years stealing championships from me in my main fantasy league (MSGL), and now he's moved on to hustling my Blue Jays, the Marlins, and now the Pirates, picking up interesting prospects for all of their expendables. He's such a pest, that guy. Pretty excited for the Astros move to the AL with the direction that org is currently heading.
      Magic Mike Fast?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
        Whatever could you mean by that?

Well, he's a typical "Greek God of Walks" kind of Moneyball guy, but also his season numbers are depressed because he had a horrific start. Then the Pirates suspended him, he got his head out of his a$$ and resumed tearing the cover off the ball.

Comment

Hasn't Wandy kind of sucked lately?

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
            Hasn't Wandy kind of sucked lately?
            His run of suckiness has aligned with the trade speculation. His manager felt he was psychologically impacted by it. Hopefully for Pirates' fans and Wandy owners, the end of the speculation and a fresh start in Pittsburgh will set him right, again.

Comment

The Pirates got away with all of their "Big 3" prospects intact (Marte, Cole, Taillon) but if they are still dealing for a big bat, they'll either have to move one of those guys or take a serious hit in the depth department.

Comment

I agree, Jon. But it will depend who the "big bat" turns out to be...

Hoss

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hoss View Post
                  I agree, Jon. But it will depend who the "big bat" turns out to be...

Hoss
                  Well, if it's a Pence/Willingham type, they are still stuck with either Tabata or Presley batting leadoff. Victorino seems to make more sense if they can make the price work.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    ...Victorino seems to make more sense if they can make the price work.
                    But do you really think they would chase Victorino when they already have a speedy OF in the way of Presley? Seems a bit redundant, although I admit Victorino might be a bit more reliable/consistent. Unless the Pirates plan to pick up the majority of the money due Victorino, I doubt the Phillies trade him to the Pirates. The Pirates might have an easier time trying to trade for a younger Dexter Fowler. Long term, I think Fowler would be a better solution, and could be a player that needs a change of scenery to thrive better than he has in Colorado.

Hoss

Comment

But do you really think they would chase Victorino when they already have a speedy OF in the way of Presley? Seems a bit redundant, although I admit Victorino might be a bit more reliable/consistent. Unless the Pirates plan to pick up the majority of the money due Victorino, I doubt the Phillies trade him to the Pirates. The Pirates might have an easier time trying to trade for a younger Dexter Fowler. Long term, I think Fowler would be a better solution, and could be a player that needs a change of scenery to thrive better than he has in Colorado.

Hoss
                      Dex is hitting .297/.381/.519 this year. Not sure he needs a change in scenery or that the Rockies have any interest in moving him whatsoever.

Comment

Hoss
                        They have another one in Tabata, but the problem is that they're both terrible. Even the Pirates are starting to realize that Presley's .275 OBP is killing them at the top of the order. Their ideal lineup looks like this:

LF Victorino/Span
                        2B Walker
                        CF Cutch
                        3B Alvarez
                        RF someone who can actually hit
                        1B Jones/McGehee platoon
                        C Barajas and McKenry
                        SS Barmes (or someone who can actually hit)

Comment

Hoss
                          Victorino may be heading down the falling off a cliff route, steadily though, but even if he is he is on pace for low teen HR's 30+SB's and has an adequate OBP for the top of the order and an improvement over the current options. If he bounces back to something closer to 2010 or 2011 that's a big upgrade to Presley and Tabata. If the cost is a little less than what was paid for Wandy they should take it.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            Dex is hitting .297/.381/.519 this year. Not sure he needs a change in scenery or that the Rockies have any interest in moving him whatsoever.
                            I haven't really followed Colorado (or Fowler) much this year. I was under the impression Fowler had been struggling with them for a long time, except when he was in the minors. I guess he's righted the ship this year finally. Good to see. The Rockies could still "cash in" however if they wanted to by selling high, as this seems to be the best year he's had there aside from stolen bases. The front office may still wonder if he's finally seen the light, or if this season is an aberration from his previous seasons. It's hard to tell. It seems like every year he's had to take a trip down to the minors to straighten out something. Eventually, a team may get tired enough that they will give up on a player like that. I'm not saying the Rockies will or should give up on Fowler, I just think I could see it happening if the right deal and circumstances presented itself.

Hoss

Comment

On the Yankees, when a player is asked to move into another position or is benched for the good of the team, they do it gladly. On the Pirates, who are having their best season in 20 years, when a player is moved into a secondary position, they moan about it and ask for a trade. Way to be a team player, Kevin Correia!

Comment

"On the Yankees, when a player is asked to move into another position or is benched for the good of the team, they do it gladly."

On the Yankees, the vets have so much juice that they aren't even ASKED to move to another position when a younger, better all-around player joins the team.
                                #justsayin
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X