Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ichiro to Yankees

Wow, MLB Network is reporting this.

Now they're saying it's done for DJ Mitchell and Danny Farquhar. I don't think Ichiro offers much value at this stage of his career, but I suppose he brings solid defense and some speed to the Yankees' lineup and the Yankees didn't give up too much.
    Last edited by ; 07-23-2012, 05:12 PM.

Brett Farquar? Wasn't he in Shrek?

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
      Brett Farquar? Wasn't he in Shrek?
      Haha, might have been. Evidently I heard wrong, it's "Danny Farquhar." Kind of shocking move to me in terms of name value, though Ichiro's name clearly surpasses his value at this point.

Comment

The Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki and cash considerations from the Mariners in exchange right-handers D.J. Mitchell and Danny Farquhar, according to Jack Curry of the YES Network (on Twitter).

Comment

wowza, this one came out of nowhere! Has Ichiro's popularity waned in Seattle, along with his ability?

Comment

nice depth

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              wowza, this one came out of nowhere! Has Ichiro's popularity waned in Seattle, along with his ability?
              Saves the M's from having to deal with an extension...agree with Buhner on his comments about resigning Ichiro.

Comment

It's gotta sting a little more to the M's fans to have to watch the face of their franchise play against them the day he "leaves", though I guess this gives them a chance to send him off with an ovation.

Think he wears a Yankees cap in the Hall of Fame?
                Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

I knew the Yankees were going to make a move like this when it was announced that Gardner wouldn't be back. Ichiro decided during the AS Break that he didn't want to be part of the rebuild.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                    I knew the Yankees were going to make a move like this when it was announced that Gardner wouldn't be back. Ichiro decided during the AS Break that he didn't want to be part of the rebuild.
                    Ichiro only worth two sh!tty pitchers??
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Yes.

When I heard the news today my first response was, "Good for Ichi." He's only been part of one playoff team (the 116 win "rookie" campaign). He's been an amazing player to watch, but the facts clearly show that he's a far-cry from what he used to be. It's been hard to watch the large drop-off. Fans of all teams have seen these declines; the M's fans have seen this recently with Griffey, Jr. The move was sudden, but not surprising.
                      "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                      "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                      WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                      PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        Ichiro only worth two sh!tty pitchers??
                        That was my thought, as clearly Seattle got cockandball$. But they did get salary relief, which the Yankees are well-known for taking advantage of. It's been harder to do in recent years, but this one clearly is that. OTOH, not sure Ichiro is worth a heckuva lot more than two $hitty pitchers. The RJEL was rankled by an Ichiro trade in May for a $1 Tyler Greene, and this is the MLB equivalent.

Comment

So, does Jeter still lead off for the Yanks? Where does Ichiro bat?

edit: oh i see Ichiro is batting 8th. I guess it doesn't take as long to walk across the field to the other dugout as it does to catch a plane flight to another city.
                          Last edited by madducks; 07-23-2012, 11:41 PM.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

That was my thought, as clearly Seattle got cockandball$. But they did get salary relief, which the Yankees are well-known for taking advantage of. It's been harder to do in recent years, but this one clearly is that. OTOH, not sure Ichiro is worth a heckuva lot more than two $hitty pitchers. The RJEL was rankled by an Ichiro trade in May for a $1 Tyler Greene, and this is the MLB equivalent.
                            According to the Yankee broadcast Ichiro asked to be traded to the Yankees. I suppose that takes away their bargaining but I was surprised it was for two very marginal prospects.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Yankees lineup tonight had 3 players (Jeter, ARod, Ichiro) with 2500+ career hits. Wonder if that is a first?
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X