Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs & Braves close on a deal for Ryan Dempster

according to multiple talking heads on the Twitters

Confirmed Ryan Dempster is coming to the Braves. Still trying to confirm details but Delgado could be on the other end of the deal
    not bad

Comment

As a Braves fan, I don't have a problem with that depending on who else is included in the deal.

Delgado is a nice young arm with upside, but this is Chipper's last year and Dempster gives them a better chance to win in 2012 than Delgado does.

Comment

one less destination for Shields

Comment

If the Cubs are getting Delgado, then I think that this is a great deal for both sides.

Comment

I agree. Delgado is a nice piece. Not to mention if keeps Dempster away from the Dodgers and potentially the Nationals. A deal that makes sense for both clubs.

Comment

Conflicting reports. Multiple people said it was done, but Dempster just tweeted that there is no deal.

Comment

Source indicates the Dempster to ATL deal is NOT done. Don't know if that's a real hold up, or just waiting for MLB to sign off on the $$$.

Comment

Maybe David Stern has decided to branch outside of his own sport and kill another deal for no good reason?

Comment

Per a great source Cubs have NOT received any approval from Dempster to approve trade.

Comment

Seems like a terrible deal for the braves from my POV- how many times is a 22-year-old pitcher for a 35-year-old one a good deal? Delgado seemed to be turning the corner and looks to me like he has a bright future. I thought the Braves learned about these rent-a-player deals when they did the Teix fiasco.

Comment

Seems that the Braves have enough quality arms in the minors that they can part with one if it means severely upgrading their rotation. As it is now, Hanson has been a disappointment, Hudson has been solid, Jurrjens/Minor have been crap, and Sheets has been surprising but can't be relied upon. Dempster would be this team's ace and help solidify their playoff rotation (and help them get there in the first place). They might look dumb in the future if Delgado harnesses his control and becomes a #2 starter, but it seems like a worthwhile gamble.

That being said, I'm glad the Dodgers didn't match the price since their rotation isn't nearly as volatile. They already have an ace (Kershaw), a solid #2 who's been pitching like an ace (Capuano), a solid #3 (Harang), an inconsistent yet quality #4 (Billingsley), and a promising youngster (Eovaldi) keeping the seat warm for the crafty veteran (Lilly). Garza makes a little more sense since he's under team control for next year, but I still hate giving up our best prospect to address an area that isn't even close to the team's weakness.

Comment

The Braves and Cubs simply waiting for Dempster's approval

Comment

As a Delgado owner, I have to ask for opinions on what this does to his value short and long term. Obviously, short term it seems like he'd have a shot to stick in the majors. But long term I imagine this move hurts his value, right? The Cubs aren't very good and Wrigley is a hitters park.

Comment

doesnt look like it is happening..wants to go to the dodgers

Comment

Working...
                              X