Have you ever.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever.....

won your league without making any trades during the season?

Looks like that's where I'm headed, if I can pull it off.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I only made one in 1984 and won (Walt Terrell of the Mets, I think, for Tekulve), but it was the first widespread year of Rotisserie ball and we only got updated stats from the commish once a MONTH (yes, really - the Dark Ages).
    I just had an obvious SP/RP imbalance, as did the other guy, at midseason.

I've probably won other years making only 2 or 3, but I don't think anyone in our league has won and made none. 2 or 3 are typical and I've probably made a dozen and won. I know some leagues have guys who make 25-35 and win.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      I only made one in 1984 and won (Walt Terrell of the Mets, I think, for Tekulve), but it was the first widespread year of Rotisserie ball and we only got updated stats from the commish once a MONTH (yes, really - the Dark Ages).
      I just had an obvious SP/RP imbalance, as did the other guy, at midseason.

I've probably won other years making only 2 or 3, but I don't think anyone in our league has won and made none. 2 or 3 are typical and I've probably made a dozen and won. I know some leagues have guys who make 25-35 and win.
      I might have made one, but I wanted to wait until the MLB trade deadline to see who comes over to the NL and who leaves as some of my targeted players look to be traded--But alas-- the guys with the players I was looking to deal for couldn't wait and now they have really nothing left.

On the bright side-- I've the most FAAB dollars and the lowest combined salaries of any of my competitors, so if there's an impact guy moving to the NL-- I get him.

Oh and I can keep/extend every one of the guys I was looking to deal for help.

Now I just gotta win this damn thing.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Can't recall anyone winning without a trade in the 14 years that i've been in my local league.

Haven't made any trades in either of my two leagues yet this year.

My local league is shaping up to be a tight four team race. I've been in all four spots at one time or another and am currently in 4th place and 7 points back. I may still make a trade in this keeper league.

In my Yahoo Pro League (public money league), i'm in 1st place with a comfortable 24 point lead. And i just got Crawford back. I see no reason to make a trade in this league.
          Last edited by madducks; 07-18-2012, 05:06 AM.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I generally dont make many trades, and in 1 league it is particularly hard to make them. This yr in this league, I'm way out in front (currently 37.5 pts), and I havent made any trades and the trading period is over.

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            Looks like that's where I'm headed, if I can pull it off.
            How far out in front are you?

Comment

In my long-time NL, I have pieced together a real dynasty, winning 7 of the last 9 years. I feel that many of my competitors are feeling discouraged, so I told myself, I would receive no dump deals, but I would dump if I was out of it. If I was going to win this year, I was going to do with no help from anyone else. Two teams duking it out in May made many trades, picked up a ton of studs. I stood pat.

I'm currently in first.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                I generally dont make many trades, and in 1 league it is particularly hard to make them. This yr in this league, I'm way out in front (currently 37.5 pts), and I havent made any trades and the trading period is over.

How far out in front are you?
                9 points in my 10 team NL only. I've 48 solid points in pitching which I don't see me losing. The fluctuation is in my hitting where I hope I can improve at the deadline through a new player to the NL. I really only need one impact guy to settle this. As for the trades-- i'm too far apart from the other owners in how I evaluate players to come to an adequate deal for my tastes so it looks like it's my team as drafted with a couple of FAAB pick ups along the way.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

"In my long-time NL, I have pieced together a real dynasty, winning 7 of the last 9 years."

a lot of money involved?
                  do owners drop out because of this?

I started to wonder what would happen when I won 4 out of 6 from 2002-07 - but I haven't won since, so I accidentally solved the 'problem' myself.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                    In my long-time NL, I have pieced together a real dynasty, winning 7 of the last 9 years. I feel that many of my competitors are feeling discouraged, so I told myself, I would receive no dump deals, but I would dump if I was out of it. If I was going to win this year, I was going to do with no help from anyone else. Two teams duking it out in May made many trades, picked up a ton of studs. I stood pat.

I'm currently in first.
                    Dane, Really wish you would have accepted Frae's invite to our 12 TM NL this past off season. Wouldnt a more challenging league be more fun for you? Thats all I will say there.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                      Dane, Really wish you would have accepted Frae's invite to our 12 TM NL this past off season. Wouldnt a more challenging league be more fun for you? Thats all I will say there.
                      Yeah, I do want in, but right now I am at 5 leagues and that is too many. The league above is in it's 28th season! I am the longest-tenured owner left and the commish and I'm trying to keep it together for posterity's sake. Ownership is definitely a mixed-bag. Jude Baldo is in that league. There are two other owners that could hold their own with any of us here on this board. So, 1/3 of ownership is of VERY high quality, in my opinion. There are about four owners who are clueless, and the last four vary between hit-and-miss and newbie-with-enthusiasm-learning-the-ropes. It's not the worst league, but it's not the toughest either. I've had a similar run for the last 5 years in the NL Icestorm league and most of those guys know exactly what they are doing (I inherited Todd Zola's team). But, none of my league are probably as tough as your invite. And I do want in.

Frankly, my least-favorite league is probably RJEL, but since it is my only mixed league, I feel compelled to stay in just to try and win at something I haven't had success with. If something changes, I'll surely take whatever opens.

Comment

a lot of money involved?
                        do owners drop out because of this?
                        No money. A gentleman's league made up primarily of friends from work, teachers, former teachers, and friends. We have had a lot of turnover recently. One new owner in 2012. Zero in 2011. Four in 2010. We lost our last original owner last year.

I think some people are discouraged by my winning so often, that's why I told myself I would take this year "off" and rebuild. I'm in first today, but I'm not convinced it will hold all season. I've been lucky with FAABs and injuries and my main competitors are getting healthy.

Comment

Hmm, wonder if it's a case where NO money is a negative.

My only league has a relatively modest cost, so that an owner can finish out the money every year and not be impacted financially.
                          BUT, it's just enough so that if you come in first or second, it's a noticeable little bonus. That might be just enough to get the lagging owners' interest?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

That might be just enough to get the lagging owners' interest?
                            It isn't really that owners lag, they just "retire" and then new guys come in, and frankly, some dude who has played on Yahoo for three years and suddenly steps into a 12-team NL with daily transactions has a steep learning curve.

Comment

no money, but daily transactions?
                              interesting.
                              is that unusual?

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                              X