Tony LaRussa is a moron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony LaRussa is a moron

So everyone knows RA Dickey should be starting the All-Star game. He's having a unreal season pitching a KNUCKLEBALL! So what does LaRussa say? Because he's a knucleballer he doesn't want to make Buster Posey look bad catching him for 2+ innings, so Dickey will be saved for later in the game. What?????? LoL Yeah Cain is no slouch and he had the perfecto, but overall Dickey has been better and more consistent all while pitching a freakin knuckleball. Just a horse**** reason and move by TLR.

Hmm...can't see the reason for outrage here. They both have very similar numbers.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Is Dickey's personal catcher there? No he isn't. So at some point someone is going to have to look like a moron. Why not let Dickey start?

Comment

I'd have picked Dickey personally, but yeah I'm not entirely outraged by the decision.

However, I agree that if LaRussa's reason is that "he doesn't want Posey to look bad catching him for 2+ innings" that is a pretty moronic reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          I'd have picked Dickey personally, but yeah I'm not entirely outraged by the decision.

However, I agree that if LaRussa's reason is that "he doesn't want Posey to look bad catching him for 2+ innings" that is a pretty moronic reason.

R.A. Dickey throws such a violent, unpredictable and effective knuckleball, that NL manager Tony La Russa is concerned his fan-voted starting catcher, Buster Posey, will not be able to handle receiving it. His indication being a more defensive-minded veteran, such as Yadier Molina — who has obviously earned La Russa's complete trust in handling pitchers — would be better equipped to handle it, which could motivate him to push Dickey's appearance back to later in the ballgame.

Comment

and now Molina is out of the all-star game, so maybe Posey has to catch him anyway.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Keep in mind, Posey is also very inexperienced as a catcher. Let a vet catch Dickey. I think that gives the whole team a better shot at winning.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                Keep in mind, Posey is also very inexperienced as a catcher. Let a vet catch Dickey. I think that gives the whole team a better shot at winning.
                Yes but woudln't it be more fun to watch Posey struggle?

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                  Yes but woudln't it be more fun to watch Posey struggle?
                  Not really. I usually root for the NL and I want them to win. If having Cain start so that Dickey can pitch to a vet with a greater likelihood of not looking foolish and letting passed balls lose them the game, then I say have Cain start. It's not like he's a terrible pick to start or anything. He deserves to. Their numbers are similar and Cain has a perfecto. What's the problem?

Also, isn't the whole premise of this thread LaRussa's moron-ness? What does a guy got to do in this game to earn the right to not be second guessed by a bunch of know-it-all schlubs on a message board? When it comes to things like this, I tend to give managers like LaRussa a pass. I spend less time arguing about why they did it and more time trying to understand the decision. I think he knows what he is doing here.

Comment

Worried about an "all star" catcher not being able to catch a pitcher?
                    Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                      Worried about an "all star" catcher not being able to catch a pitcher?
                      Classic.
                      What's worse is Varitek won a Gold Glove even though he couldn't catch Wakefield's knuckler.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Ruiz was excellent at catching Lidge's slider, which could be all over the place. He might be OK catching knuckleballs.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

what do you guys think about larussa skunking johnny cueto entirely? that is the more controversial decision, imo. kind of hard to think the bad blood between st louis and cincinnati last year didn't come into play.
                          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                            Also, isn't the whole premise of this thread LaRussa's moron-ness? What does a guy got to do in this game to earn the right to not be second guessed by a bunch of know-it-all schlubs on a message board? When it comes to things like this, I tend to give managers like LaRussa a pass. I spend less time arguing about why they did it and more time trying to understand the decision. I think he knows what he is doing here.
                            Isn't second guessing professionals one of the ideals behind being a part of a message board community?

I understand that calling one of the greatest managers of all time a moron is extreme, but I also sense there is a quite a bit of hyperbole there.

There is definitely a place for the shiny happy, cuddly and marshmallow filled world of "he's earned the right to not be second guessed", but that place is likely in main stream media (more specifically in Bristol) and most of those people aren't posting on communities like this.

Comment

Why in the hell should any of us care who starts this game in the lineup or the mound? It means nothing

I have more issue with Uggla and Furcal in the starting lineups than I do Dickey not starting.

You don't see me butthurt about Price not starting for the AL tonight. Verlander has been great but I think Sale should have the honor as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X