Go or Blow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go or Blow?

16 team H2H, 4 unrestricted keepers, others are draft round minus 4.

This is the roster.

C Geovany Soto
    1B Paul Goldschmidt
    2B Robinson Cano Keeper.
    3B Adrian Beltre Keeper.
    SS Andrelton Simmons
    OF Trevor Plouffe
    OF Mike Trout
    OF Josh Willingham
    Util Mark Trumbo

SP Zack Greinke Keeper.
    SP Edwin Jackson
    SP Matt Harrison
    RP Joel Hanrahan
    RP Ernesto Frieri
    RP Glen Perkins
    P Casey Janssen
    P J.A. Happ

BN Gregor Blanco
    BN Anthony Rizzo
    BN Hak-Ju Lee NA
    DL Jacoby Ellsbury Keeper.
    BN Henderson Alvarez
    BN Julio Teheran NA
    DL Neftali Feliz

After an awful start, 10-37-5, things have turned around. Among other things I traded for ZG and picked Frieri off WW. I am currently 12th as we approach the halfway point. 6 teams make the play offs. I am 12 games out of 6th (17 pts possible per week).

The question is, should I go for it or start making deals for next year? About the only players I cannot hope keep is Willingham, though Perkins, Jansen and Blanco are probably going back regardless. Some of the others will be either/or situations. Lee, Alvarez and Harrison are cheap, Trout, Plouffe, Trumbo, Rizzo, Feliz and Frieri are middling, Goldschmidt the most expensive other than the four.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

you have a very bizarre staff for a HTH league. You need to trade two of those relievers for SP to contend.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      you have a very bizarre staff for a HTH league. You need to trade two of those relievers for SP to contend.
      Reloading this year. Trout and Goldschmidt came around faster than expected and I stumbled into Trumbo. I picked him up as a backup 3B. BTW, this league uses Holds and Losses.

So you would advise that I focus on building, since it isnt happening this season?

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        Reloading this year. Trout and Goldschmidt came around faster than expected and I stumbled into Trumbo. I picked him up as a backup 3B. BTW, this league uses Holds and Losses.

So you would advise that I focus on building, since it isnt happening this season?

J
        I like your offense a lot, though Plouffe and Simmons will regress. (Actually I don't really know what Plouffe will do). But I don't see a way for you to consistently get wins out of that pitching staff. Do you have an IP minimum? If you think you're rebuilding anyway I might see what you can get for Grienke and punt wins/Ks every week, trying to win losses, holds, saves and maybe even ratios. If you trade him for a bat, or even an injured player and good MR, maybe that would work.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          I like your offense a lot, though Plouffe and Simmons will regress. (Actually I don't really know what Plouffe will do). But I don't see a way for you to consistently get wins out of that pitching staff. Do you have an IP minimum? If you think you're rebuilding anyway I might see what you can get for Grienke and punt wins/Ks every week, trying to win losses, holds, saves and maybe even ratios. If you trade him for a bat, or even an injured player and good MR, maybe that would work.
          Actually Grienke/Jackson/Harrison has been cooking the last month: 11 W, 1.67 ERA, 1.04 WHIP. What I need is a SP4, and neither Happ nor Alvaez is doing well in that role, though Happ is a K machne. Since Hanrahan and Frieri are killing saves every week, I could cut Jansen for a MR.

Plouffe has been a find. I picked him up to play OF when Ellsbury was hurt in April, and almost cut him twice. Simmons will have real trade value next February, so I will likely keep both. Also, Simmons is a glove whiz, so he will stay a SS, when Plouffe doesnt.

If I decide to ditch the season, I would probably package two or three of Goldschmidt, Plouffe, Trumbo and Frieri for an elite player. Trumbo is 3B and Plouffe is SS, so there is leverage.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
          X