No announcement yet.

Desperate Times: Rockies Announce 4-Man Rotation With 75-Pitch Count Maximum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate Times: Rockies Announce 4-Man Rotation With 75-Pitch Count Maximum

Linky - http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci...r-man-rotation

Originally posted by Denver Post
    This is what the Rockies' season has come to: The rotation is so bad that the manager would rather see middle relievers soak up important innings than having the opening-day starter perform the task.

In a season defined by surprises and disappointment, Jim Tracy provided both Tuesday, explaining that Jeremy Guthrie was going to the bullpen and that the team was moving forward with four starters on a 75-pitch count.

"I felt we had to do something non-conventional," said Tracy of his beleaguered pitching staff that includes a reliever, Josh Roenicke, who has thrown nearly as many innings (41) as every member of the current rotation. "I was given the opportunity to tweak this. We are going to see what transpires as we move forward."

So, as the team aggressively tries to trade Guthrie, the Rockies will go with four starters: Outman, White, Francis and Christian Friedrich.

But Tracy insisted that even if a starter is working a shutout, he will be removed at roughly 75 pitches.

"He has got to come out, because he has to pitch four days later," Tracy said. "But if he goes five innings, he has pitched you to the point where you can go to a bullpen with some very significant people."
    Fantasy impact: Look for more wins :snicker: to go to the relief corps, at least until Jim Tracy is fired.

Of course, realistically, if you were counting on wins from Rockies starters, you're probably sitting about where the Rockies are now, and you've long since quit caring who's in your starting rotation.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    Linky - http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci...r-man-rotation

Fantasy impact: Look for more wins :snicker: to go to the relief corps, at least until Jim Tracy is fired.

Of course, realistically, if you were counting on wins from Rockies starters, you're probably sitting about where the Rockies are now, and you've long since quit caring who's in your starting rotation.
    I assume that this would only be until Nicasio returns from injury in a few weeks, no?

Comment

Wins are also hard to come by when your two stars, Tulo and GarGo are p*ssies.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

was at the game last night and wasn't so impressed with the bull-pen...
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

any local updates on Chacin?
          After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            I assume that this would only be until Nicasio returns from injury in a few weeks, no?
            I would assume so, at which point somebody other than Christian Friedrich would return to the pen.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              any local updates on Chacin?
              As of last week, he's on a long toss program. He hasn't started throwing bullpen sessions yet. The club is "in no hurry to rush him back."

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                was at the game last night and wasn't so impressed with the bull-pen...
                Given the makeup of the pitching staff, there's really no rhyme or reason to this. Fans and the media have been blasting Jim Tracy's inability to think outside the box and fix this mess, so this is his stab at trying something unconventional, I guess. I imagine this will last until 1) Tracy gets fired, or 2) the Rockies somehow find themselves with five major league-quality starters again.

Comment

2) the Rockies somehow find themselves with five major league-quality starters again.
                  How many more do you think they need?

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    Five

Sorry Sheep, I had to.

In an attempt to add something useful, what about Pomeranz? A few too many walks and one shelling but aside from that he's been pretty good, especially his last start. I'm guessing at this point they care more about his future and his development than simply bringing him back to the majors.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      My best guess: This experiment will end if/when this group is healthy and productive:

1) Jorge De La Rosa - Has had his last two rehab appearances cut short. Date of return: ????? Chance of contributing when healthy: Good.
                      2) Juan Nicasio - Date of return: July 2012. Chance of contributing when healthy: Probably good.
                      3) Jhoulys Chacin - Hasn't even begun his rehab assignments. Date of return: ????? Chance of contributing when healthy: Probably good.
                      4) Christian Friedrich - Pitching well right now. I like his chances of sticking in the rotation.
                      5) Drew Pomeranz - Pitching well in AAA. They seem to be in no hurry to rush him back, but I think he'll be back in the rotation this year.

Others:

Jeremy Guthrie - Will be traded by July.
                      Jeff Francis - The fairy tale return isn't happening. If he doesn't improve a lot and quickly, he'll go to the pen when better options become available.
                      Alex White - Occasionally promising but inconsistent.
                      Josh Outman - Ditto.

This seems like the pitching equivalent of Brad Hawpe-Garrett Atkins-Ian Stewart-Seth Smith-Ryan Spilborghs: A bunch of guys who seem like they could be successful, but none of them actually are successful. Yet. Some of them have pitched well in brief stretches, so there are some glimmers of hope.

Comment

everything here just has me thinking that Pomeranz is vastly overrated...agree?

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                          everything here just has me thinking that Pomeranz is vastly overrated...agree?
                          So far, he looks to me like a guy who could be a solid contributor as #3 or #4 guy in a major league rotation.

Comment

So far, he looks to me like a guy who could be a solid contributor as #3 or #4 guy in a major league rotation.
                            If not a #2. He has a plus fastball with pretty good command and an improving curve. His change is not very good now, but he's working on it. If he can perfect this - or an alternate third pitch (cut fastball, anyone?), I think he'll be very good. Not great, but very good.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                              From Troy Rench of the Denver Post:

“Through the first 10 games of the grand experiment,” writes Renck, “the Rockies’ rotation, on a flexible 75-pitch limit that will grow if the starters become more effective and more durable, posted an 8.56 ERA, compared with a 6.28 ERA for the starters in the season’s first 65 games.”
                              Is anyone surprised by this? Tracy has put his staff in the position where they all know if they have one bad (or even long) inning they will very likely get yanked before they can even get the W. Just idiotic.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                              X