2k11: Cody Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k11: Cody Ross

About as boring as boring gets, but Ross might be a little overvalued because of his world series heroics.

Here's his group of outfielders from Mock One:

C.Coghlan (12.19), N.McLouth (12.20), M.Byrd (13.05), C.Ross (13.12), F.Gutierrez (13.17), J.D. Drew (13.19), D.DeJesus (14.02), J.Damon (14.05), J.Borbon (14.12), W.Venable (14.14), P.Bourjos (14.20), A.Gordon (15.06), G.Jones* (15.08), J.Rivera (15.09), C.Maybin (16.07)

Last year, Ross hit 269/322/413 with 14 HR, 71 R, 65 RBI and 9 steals. The 9 steals were a career high but the 14 HR were a disappointment after he hit 22 and 24 in the previous 2 years. All 9 steals came with the Marlins - he had none in 33 games with the Giants. He had 3 HRs in 82 PA for the Giants, which would be a pace for about 22 for the year.

Bill James has him at "only" 527 PAs. The fans have him at 591 so they are expecting more PT. I think that PT is going to be the driving issue for Ross' value since not much else changes.

The Giants have Torres in CF (probably won't change) and then have Burrell, DeRosa, Rowand and Ross for their 2 corner spots. DeRosa may also pitch in at 3B if Sandoval stinks or moves to 1B. Huff might push for some corner OF time if Brandon Belt forces his way to the majors during the season.

Anyway... James has him at 491 AB, 265-18-70-65r-6sb. I think that's pretty fair. I don't see anything to justify a lot of upside here. From the list above, I'd probably take FraGu, GJones and Venable above him... and maybe Bourjos or Gordon if I was looking for upside.

I like Ross for the higher end of PT as well, any game he doesn't start, he'll be in in the 7th inning to replace Burrell. I'd also guess that Ross will be the backup CF over Rowand. No one has seen if DeRosa can really play yet either, and Belt will get the Posey (don't start the clock yet) treatment at best
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

If pitchers learn from the NLCS and don't throw him any inside fastballs high in the strike zone, I don't think he'll do much of anything special. He will get the benefit of the doubt early on for PT because of his playoff heroics, though.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
      X