Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curt Schilling Might've Been Able to Pitch....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curt Schilling Might've Been Able to Pitch....

....but not sure he was able to run a company:

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — A videogame maker founded by former pitcher Curt Schilling filed for bankruptcy protection Thursday after weeks of turmoil and amid a report of a law-enforcement investigation.

The company, 38 Studios LLC (named after the number Schilling wore in his playing days) filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware, claiming liabilities of $150.7 million against assets of just more than $21.7 million. Schilling owns 83% of the firm, according to court filings.

The star baseball player’s 38 Studios moved to Providence, R.I., from Massachusetts after the state in late 2010 promised the company a $75 million guaranteed loan.

But in early May, Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation said that 38 Studios had failed to make a payment, reportedly of $1.1 million, on the loan.

News of the loan — and default — raised hackles among Rhode Island taxpayers, with critics noting Schilling’s acceptance of state financial aid despite his outspoken support for so-called small-government policies.

The only title from 38 Studios was the videogame “Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.” The company effectively closed down operations in late May, laying off roughly 400 staffers.

El D posted about this in the Sports Bar.

I actually tweeted Schilling about this and he said don't believe everything you read. Then people jumped on him with all of the facts and he didn't reply after that.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
      El D posted about this in the Sports Bar.

I actually tweeted Schilling about this and he said don't believe everything you read. Then people jumped on him with all of the facts and he didn't reply after that.
      schilling with nothing to say? I don't believe it...

Comment

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...
        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Several months ago one of the national news groups ( I wish I could remember which one) ran a 5 minute piece on the success of his company. The report also let it be known that Schilling pumped a lot of his own cash (well over $1M) into the company to make it work.

Comment

the video game business is incredibly tough. Basically you're hoping to get bought by one of the big boys like EA or Activision.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Schilling also runs a group called MultiMan that is responsible for Advanced Squad Leader, the most complex tabletop boardgame ever created. He ended up buying the rights from Avalon Hill I think
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                Schilling also runs a group called MultiMan that is responsible for Advanced Squad Leader, the most complex tabletop boardgame ever created. He ended up buying the rights from Avalon Hill I think
                I really hope that stays afloat from a wargammer perspective. Though ASL is to much of a brain/time burner for the married with children set. I loved the old Avalon Hill games.

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
                  I really hope that stays afloat from a wargammer perspective. Though ASL is to much of a brain/time burner for the married with children set. I loved the old Avalon Hill games.
                  dude, ASL will be fine for the next 10 years, but then the actual players will start dying off faster than replacement rate. I got as far as Cresendo of Doom, but the bulk of my play was SL/Cross of Iron. I've never actually played ASL.
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I loved those Avalon Hill games and played many of them. Never played ASL, but I did play SL, along with Civilization, Panzer Leader, Diplomacy, Gunslinger, and a few others, on occasion.

Comment

Diplomacy is a game I still play, www.webdiplomacy.com is awesome

Comment

Sweet. I am glad that I read this thread. I am going to have to try the web diplomacy. Like someone else who posted, I never got to ASL, but I got through Cross of Iron and Creshendo of Doom. (I think Anvil is basically ASL). They have an online SL app now which is cool because well, if you like to make your own scenarios with ridiculously unrealistic massive tank/infantry battles involving tanks that were never in service at the same time, man, the counters get incredibly hard to keep stacked and forgetting to close a door can lead to a pet winning the game. Unfortunately, the last time I tried to do one of the massive do your own ones, I crashed the program.

I remembered reading that Schilling had bought the rights years ago and was hoping that wasn't the company that went under when I opened this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                          schilling with nothing to say? I don't believe it...
                          Unless he deleted his Twitter feed it's there. Just look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            Sweet. I am glad that I read this thread. I am going to have to try the web diplomacy. Like someone else who posted, I never got to ASL, but I got through Cross of Iron and Creshendo of Doom. (I think Anvil is basically ASL). They have an online SL app now which is cool because well, if you like to make your own scenarios with ridiculously unrealistic massive tank/infantry battles involving tanks that were never in service at the same time, man, the counters get incredibly hard to keep stacked and forgetting to close a door can lead to a pet winning the game. Unfortunately, the last time I tried to do one of the massive do your own ones, I crashed the program.

I remembered reading that Schilling had bought the rights years ago and was hoping that wasn't the company that went under when I opened this thread.
                            the on-line app is VASSAL, which is the only way I've played SL in the last 15 years

Comment

Originally posted by Igor View Post
                              Third Reich remains my fav to this day.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X