I hate Wins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate Wins!

Cliff Lee has no wins with an era under 3 and it is June 5th! Tonight he goes 7.2 with 12 k's and can not get a win.

As a fellow Cliff Lee owner, I am also disappointed with tonight's game. However, I think the luck factor with Wins adds variability and fun to a league. In Chess, it's all strategy and tactics. Once you get behind, you're behind. In Backgammon, you can always hope for double 6's. Not sure if I'm making sense here, but Wins add luck/hope to a very logical progression in a standard 5x5 league. Others, I am sure, will disagree vehemently.

Comment

"I think the luck factor with Wins adds variability and fun to a league."

I agree.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

In my NL-only league I'm 1st in ERA, WHIP, and K's...but 10th in wins. Thanks a lot "run support for Cliff Lee, Anibal Sanchez, and Edwin Jackson". 4 wins between them despite ERA's under 3.25. Not to mention all the extra wins James McDonald should've had back in April.

Comment

Ryan Dempster and his 2.59 ERA got his first win tonight

Comment

I finished mid-pack a couple of years ago in ERA/Ratio/K (and IP, though not a category).

Wins? 48

it happens
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

leagues should use QS instead of wins. i wish mine did.

signed,
              matt cain owner for multiple years

Comment

Lee was on the DL for a bit, but still.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I think quality starts is a little too mixed in with era, and doesn't appreciate longer starts (for example, 8 IP with 4 ER is usually better for a team than 6 IP with 3 ER).

Perhaps a Quality Start could be when your IP-FIP > 3, or maybe use xFIP. That would also allow the occasional QS from a long reliever.
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                    I think quality starts is a little too mixed in with era, and doesn't appreciate longer starts (for example, 8 IP with 4 ER is usually better for a team than 6 IP with 3 ER).
                    I don't think that's a very good reason to discard Quality Starts.

Number of Starts with 4 ER and 8 or more IP in 2011: 24
                    Number of Starts with 2 ER or less and 7+ IP in 2011 and SP gets an L: 152
                    Number of Starts with 2 ER or less and 7+ IP in 2011 and SP gets an ND: 285

The 8 IP, 4 ER start happens so rarely (24 times in 2011) that it's not really much of a concern. But look how many times a starter throws an outstanding game, but does not get credit for a win - there were 437 times in 2011 where the starter went 7+ IP and allowed 2 ER or less, and still did not get credit for a Win.

Comment

JA Happ is not liking Brett Myers very much...

Comment

I am also a Cliff Lee owner and I'm surviving in the Wins category solely because of Lance Lynn and Kyle Lohse. I posted a little news article on our Sportsline league web site.

"Let's play Jeopardy!

Answer: This position player on my roster has more pitching wins than Cliff Lee this year.
                        Question: Who is Chris Davis?"

I have since traded Davis in hopes of getting Lee a win. 2 starts since and no luck. Grrrr....
                        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Working...
                        X