Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the added playoff spot create more buyers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the added playoff spot create more buyers?

The radio guys here keep saying that the added playoff spot this year will make for more buyers at the trade deadline. I don't see it happening. In Years there are about 4-5 teams that think they have a shot at the wildcard and are buyers. I can't see a team that thinks they were far enough behind those teams in a 1 wild card format suddenly thinking they can compete in a 2 wild card format. If they couldn't catch those teams before, why can they suddenly catch them now? I guess it would open up things if there was a runaway contender (like the braves or redsox last year ... ahem) for some teams to think they have a shot at the second, but for the most part I don't see it effecting things to the extent that the radio guys make it out to.

Am I wrong?
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    The radio guys here keep saying that the added playoff spot this year will make for more buyers at the trade deadline. I don't see it happening. In Years there are about 4-5 teams that think they have a shot at the wildcard and are buyers. I can't see a team that thinks they were far enough behind those teams in a 1 wild card format suddenly thinking they can compete in a 2 wild card format. If they couldn't catch those teams before, why can they suddenly catch them now? I guess it would open up things if there was a runaway contender (like the braves or redsox last year ... ahem) for some teams to think they have a shot at the second, but for the most part I don't see it effecting things to the extent that the radio guys make it out to.

Am I wrong?
    Yes...it's affecting

I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I never get that one right.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

thewarehousecomic062nm7.jpg

I know you love this cartoon
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I'm not sure if it's the WC or not, but there are very few sellers at this point. Houston finally went on a long losing streak, but other than CHC, SD, MIN and maybe HOU, who is selling at this point? KC, SEA/OAK, COL? Are any of those really impacted by the 2nd WC?

Comment

Working...
          X