Pedroia / J-Upton trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedroia / J-Upton trade

12 T 7x7 mixed roto keeper, extra cats are H and OPS.

I have an opportunity to get Justin Upton for Dustin Pedroia but unsure if this is the correct move?

I am most concerned with 2013. The way our keeper scheme works the better you finish the fewer keeper units (contract years 'CY') you earn. I won going away in 2011 so started at a decent disadvantage this year and a rash of injuries have all but assured a mid pack finish at best this year.

Following this season, I have Pedroia signed for 1 more CY which gets him through 2013 but could get J-Upton though 2014 at a cost of 2CY into 2013, 1CY into 2014. My worry is that I'm trading a cheaper keeper that fits our scoring very well and at a position with few options available to get yet another keeper OF I've always coveted.

Going into 2013 most of the good 2B will be signed, best available to bid on look like Phillips Uggla and Zobrist. Everyone else is locked up.

I will probably have 3OF kept into 2013, Harper (2015) Heyward (2013) and one of either CBY Crawford or AJax. I also have Fielder signed through 2013, Tulo through 2015 and Strasburg (2014). Unlike 2B, some real good OF are available to bid on including CarGo, Hamilton, McCutchen, Beltran, Bourn, and Victorino.

To provide an idea what bids the top players typically draw during restricted free agent bidding (everyone coming off an expiring keeper contracts) here is a synopsis of the larger bids in the past 3 off seasons:
    Into 2010 - MigCabrera, Kemp, and Hanley each went for 5CY /Wright and Fielder 4CY / Reyes, Youk, Markakis and Yovanni 3CY.
    Into 2011 - Tulo and A-Gonz 5CY / Cano, Cruz and J Johnson 4CY / Pedroia, Mauer, Kershaw, Halladay, Felix, and Lester 3CY.
    Into 2012 - Votto 4CY / Braun, Bautista, J-Up, Ellsbury, Pence, Kinsler, McCann, Hamels, Verlander, and Lincecum 3CY.
    The biggest bids ever were all at 6CY; on Pujols 5 years ago and A-Rod and Tex 7 years ago.

The top players vulnerable by position include C-Santana* Napoli VMart / 1B-Butler Howard / 2B-Uggla Phillips Zobrist / 3B-Longo Beltre Sandoval R Zimm* Aramis Youk / SS- Reyes Asdrubal / OF CarGo Hamilton McCutchen Borne Beltran Victorino Markakis / SP-Greinke CC Wilson Kennedy Gio Haren Bumgarner Shields Waino Gallardo / RP Paps Axeford

Keeping Pedroia, I will likely have about 6CY leftover to either bid with or match bids on my own RFA, (my only match concerns are C Santana* and R Zimmerman*). I'd have 5CY taking J-Upton.

The question is do I retain Pedroia and hopefully use the extra CY to nab a stud in the bidding (it's blind bid via email so there are no guarantees) OR do I take the bird in the hand and get 2 years of J-Up vs 1 on Dustin?

I realize the position thing is an issue but I would take 2 years of J-Up and figure it out later. With Harper, Tulo, Strasburg, J-Up, you could have crap at 2B and still win

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      I realize the position thing is an issue but I would take 2 years of J-Up and figure it out later. With Harper, Tulo, Strasburg, J-Up, you could have crap at 2B and still win
      Thanks, I went ahead with the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Jc, in a post on thread about my current team you said in a 12team league it's too hard to win if your team has any holes. This post from you contradicts that
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
        X