Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
    guy in a Gary Carter jersey figured he'd join in the on-field celebration

ok, this is the Big Apple pal, they know from security, ok?

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/sta...903296/photo/1
    Apparently not all that much, since the guy actually got into the celebration huddle and jumped around with the players for a good 10 seconds or so before security arrived.

Happy for Johan, and happy for the good Met fans. And BTW, a team with a couple of WS rings cannot exactly be called "long suffering"...just sayin' I've heard that pretty recently.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Well, no-hitters are about 130 years old.

For more than half of that cycle, there is no video and wasn't when the games were played.

I wish we had replays for every no-hitter in baseball history, especially the perfect games. But we don't.

Even what we now take for granted, like tonight's missed call on the Beltran ball, we've had for less than 20 years.

Jeter hit a fly out due to interference by a kid in CF, but the ump missed it and the Orioles lost the playoff game.

I assume, since you're not a Yankees fan, that you will adjust Jeter's career postseason totals and other stats from the game to be more accurate.

Or is there a point where final stats are final stats?

And for the first time ever I will say, perhaps don't be provocative and then object to a provocative response (not mine).
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I have no stake in the game outside of the fact of being one of the more vocal screamers for instant replay for years. It always upsets me that baseball tolerates such correctable failures because that old bag of wind that runs the game hates anything modern.

Comment

I'm still more upset that the lack of instant replay cost Galarraga a perfect game than I am the lack of it helping Johan to this one. He's always been one of my favorite guys to watch but I'm not letting my emotions distract me from the goal of improving the quality of baseball.

Comment

I agree with you on instant replay, and the Galarraga game still frustrates me as well.
            Plus I'm just not emotionally invested in any sporting event, compared to many here, for obvious reasons.

Just saying that you rained a bit on someone else's parade, granting that I see why you did.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I do find it neat that 2 guys involved in the same trade both throw no-hitters/perfect games in the same season (Humber)

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                I agree with you on instant replay, and the Galarraga game still frustrates me as well.
                Plus I'm just not emotionally invested in any sporting event, compared to many here, for obvious reasons.

Just saying that you rained a bit on someone else's parade, granting that I see why you did.
                Pretty certain emotions would be other way had the Cards hurler done it and Wright was robbed of a double.

Eyes on the prize and that should be improving the game. Selig's reluctance to modernize the game with replay is the biggest mistake of his reign.

Comment

Not only would I not care if a Cardinals pitcher got a break to get a no-hitter vs the Mets in an 8-0 win, I suspect neither would most emotional Mets fans. They don't care if they get no-hit, they just wanted a no-hitter. And while the game wasn't out of hand on Beltran's swing, this also isn't late September.

Pushing for instant replay is one thing, belittling a "one-hitter" is another. No need for that dig, is my point, not that I'll lose any sleep over it.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                      All I hear is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
                      Would you say the same thing if a NY Rangers shot clearly crossed the goal, but the referee didn't give them the goal?

Didn't think so.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

LOOOOOOL

Get off your high horses. It's sports. I don't care if the Mets had to pay off an ump. NO HITTTERRRRRRRRR

Comment

I was just watching Sports Center coverage of the Santana no-no, and at the end, they displayed some stats, mostly the inability of Mets pitchers to ever get a no-hitter. The most fascinating statistic, only 4 times did a no-hitter go into the 9th inning for the Mets. Three of these times it was done by Steve Carlton.

I rewound and listened to that three more times, just to be sure that's what they said.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            Brutal missed call. It was 8' in front of him and left a mark on the chalk (which I read)!!! Technology won't help this ump...retirement will.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I was just watching Sports Center coverage of the Santana no-no, and at the end, they displayed some stats, mostly the inability of Mets pitchers to ever get a no-hitter. The most fascinating statistic, only 4 times did a no-hitter go into the 9th inning for the Mets. Three of these times it was done by Steve Carlton.

Mean Tom Seaver?

Comment

Carlton is famous among Mets fans for being the 1st guy to K 19 in a 9-inning game - and he still lost, to the Mets, off a couple of Ron Swoboda HRs.

yes, Seaver had no-nos into the 9th I think in 1969, 1972, and 1975.
                                Qualls broke up the 2-outs-away perfect game in 1969, but the Mets later won the World Series, so good tradeoff there.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X