June call ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June call ups

It appears the Cubs have decided to call up Anthony Rizzo for inter-league play, rather than wait for monetary reasons. He is supposed to be much superior to LaHair as a 1B glove, so I would not expect him to go back down. LaHair can play OF and pushing a 2B-turned-OF-who-should-remain-nameless out is just gravy.

Will Myers is destroying AAA, and Hosmer is not doing squat in MLB. However, I have not seen anything specific on this one.

Trevor Bauer is doing a Godzilla rendition in a tough AAA league (for pitchers). Arizona is much the same pitching environment as Reno. Again, nothing specific.

Who else is likely?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    It appears the Cubs have decided to call up Anthony Rizzo for inter-league play, rather than wait for monetary reasons. He is supposed to be much superior to LaHair as a 1B glove, so I would not expect him to go back down. LaHair can play OF and pushing a 2B-turned-OF-who-should-remain-nameless out is just gravy.

Will Myers is destroying AAA, and Hosmer is not doing squat in MLB. However, I have not seen anything specific on this one.

Trevor Bauer is doing a Godzilla rendition in a tough AAA league (for pitchers). Arizona is much the same pitching environment as Reno. Again, nothing specific.

Who else is likely?

J
    Bauer has pitched exactly ONE game in AAA ball, and Myers has only 10 games at that level, so temper your expectations.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Bauer has walked too many hitters all through the minors, which causes me to take a step back on him. Though he strikes out a ton and has a 2.7 k/bb rate.

How will Rizzo do when called up? He's torn up the PCL, but hasn't done that type of damage in any other league (.339, 43 HR in 537 PCL ABs....284, 38 HR in 1080 non-PCL ABs). Is it a case of the PCL drastically inflating his numbers or did things just start clicking for him last year? I realize he's young and has a great future, but I'm just not expecting anything close to what he's doing it he PCL.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman View Post
        Bauer has walked too many hitters all through the minors, which causes me to take a step back on him. Though he strikes out a ton and has a 2.7 k/bb rate.

How will Rizzo do when called up? He's torn up the PCL, but hasn't done that type of damage in any other league (.339, 43 HR in 537 PCL ABs....284, 38 HR in 1080 non-PCL ABs). Is it a case of the PCL drastically inflating his numbers or did things just start clicking for him last year? I realize he's young and has a great future, but I'm just not expecting anything close to what he's doing it he PCL.
        Last year his numbers were inflated by his home park. San Diego's AAA affiliate is both high altitude and desert. This year, in spite of the Pacific Coast League name, he is in Iowa. Wrigley is actually a better hitter's park.

His Major League Equivalents for 2012 is .291/12/32 with a OPS of .892. This is certainly useful, but a far cry from the .354/17/44 and 1.130 OPS he has unadjusted. That is almost purely the difference between AAA and ML pitching. Last year his stats projected to .260/.327/.482 but he produced only.141/.281/.242 in 128 AB.

So, he badly under performed his MLE in 2011. That happens. There is good reason to hope it will be a one time thing, but occasionally it is not.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I'll guess SD C Yasmani Grandal will be up soon. .925 OPS at Tucson (AAA). 23 years old. He's with San Diego, so temper your expectations, but I'd think he'd be a decent option for deep NL leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
            I'll guess SD C Yasmani Grandal will be up soon. .925 OPS at Tucson (AAA). 23 years old. He's with San Diego, so temper your expectations, but I'd think he'd be a decent option for deep NL leagues.

Where did you see this?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Where did you see this?
              Yasmani Grandal was told after the game tonight that he's being called up to San Diego.

Comment

I hadn't seen it anywhere; just thought it likely given Grandal's production and the lack of production of Padre catchers. On rare occasions I turn out to be correct in predictions.

Comment

I hadn't seen it anywhere; just thought it likely given Grandal's production and the lack of production of Padre catchers. On rare occasions I turn out to be correct in predictions.
                  Padres optioned C Yasmani Grandal to Triple-A Tucson.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                    Padres optioned C Yasmani Grandal to Triple-A Tucson.
                    I wonder what they were thinking, other than "Can't let james33 be right!" Why bring him up for two days - I get lost in the details of MLB rules, but did the Padres not just waste one of their options with Grandal? Or was he dropping pitches left and right in practice (his defense is suspect) and the pitching coach objected?

Comment

I wonder what they were thinking, other than "Can't let james33 be right!" Why bring him up for two days - I get lost in the details of MLB rules, but did the Padres not just waste one of their options with Grandal? Or was he dropping pitches left and right in practice (his defense is suspect) and the pitching coach objected?
                      It has nothing to do with options. If Grandal was already on the 40-man roster (I think he was), the Padres already used an option year to send him down at the start of the season. Options are a yearly thing, not an every time up and down thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X