Yanks for Sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yanks for Sale?

"Rumors are flying in Major League Baseball and New York banking circles that the family that has owned Major League Baseball's premiere franchise since Cleveland shipbuilder George Steinbrenner purchased the club for $8.8 million in 1973 is exploring the possibility of selling the Yankees.

Multiple baseball and finance sources told the Daily News they are hearing that the team the Steinbrenner family has led to seven World Series titles could be put on the block in the wake of the record sale price of $2.175 billion the Los Angeles Dodgers went for in April.

"There has been chatter all around the banking and financial industries in the city for a couple of weeks now," one high-level baseball source told The News."

Manhattan without the Empire State Building? New York without the Statue of Liberty? Brooklyn without the Bridge? The Yankees without the Steinbrenners? Rumors are flying in Major League Baseball a…

I want Vince Naimoli to buy them

Comment

Why would you give up an enterprise that is so consistently enormously profitable for a one time windfall? I can't see it...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Why would you give up an enterprise that is so consistently enormously profitable for a one time windfall? I can't see it...
        It's like winning the lottery and choosing between the lump sum payment or the 26 annual payments. Either way you win.
        After the Dodgers sale price (over $2 billion), I'm thinking the Yankees could get $3-4 billion. Or more if the YES Network were included in the deal.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

from YES Network.com :

“I just learned of the Daily News story,” Steinbrenner said. “It is pure fiction. The Yankees are not for sale. I expect that the Yankees will be in my family for many years to come.”
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            I want Vince Naimoli to buy them
            Donald Trump would be an entertaining owner.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              I can't, either. I really suspect they did a financial re-evaluation of the franchise after the Dodger sale, and that's been misconstrued as the beginning of a selling process.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Apparently the way George set up the ownership group through multi-generational trusts would mean a huge tax hit for the kids if they sold the team.
                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  It's like winning the lottery and choosing between the lump sum payment or the 26 annual payments. Either way you win.
                  After the Dodgers sale price (over $2 billion), I'm thinking the Yankees could get $3-4 billion. Or more if the YES Network were included in the deal.
                  Except that owning the Yankees is like winning the lottery every year.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                    Donald Trump would be an entertaining owner.
                    Have you ever heard of the New Jersey Generals?

Comment

Working...
                    X