Matt Adams--St Louis Cardinals recent call-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Adams--St Louis Cardinals recent call-up

A few days behind the loop, but I'm super excited Matt Adams has been called up to the majors by the Cardinals. Sorry for all of you who own one of the many Cardinals' players that are DLed that caused this move, but for me, it's a grand week!

Not since 1927 has someone from my alma mater, Slippery Rock University, played in the major leagues! With Matt Adams now making the bigs, he joins Doc Marshall and Bob Shawkey as alums to play in the majors!

WOOOO!!!!
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

I think someone else on this board chimed in that they were a Slippery Rock alum. By the way, I've probably spent way too much time than I should thinking about why someone would name a university Slippery Rock.

What's the school's motto? A slippery rock has moss?

Comment

Well obviously, Slippery Rock University was named for the town it is located in, Slippery Rock! Why name a town Slippery Rock? It was named after the creek that runs near the town, Slippery Rock Creek!

Legend has it, back when Western PA was more of a frontier area, some settlers were chasing several natives through the area. The natives ran toward a creek, and continued on through the woods. The settlers, not understanding this wasn't a normal creek, attempted to use the rocks to scamper across, but ended up sliding on the wet, moss covered rocks that jutted out of the creek. The pursuit ended. Hence the name, Slippery Rock Creek.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
        Well obviously, Slippery Rock University was named for the town it is located in, Slippery Rock! Why name a town Slippery Rock? It was named after the creek that runs near the town, Slippery Rock Creek!

Legend has it, back when Western PA was more of a frontier area, some settlers were chasing several natives through the area. The natives ran toward a creek, and continued on through the woods. The settlers, not understanding this wasn't a normal creek, attempted to use the rocks to scamper across, but ended up sliding on the wet, moss covered rocks that jutted out of the creek. The pursuit ended. Hence the name, Slippery Rock Creek.
        beats "Slow and Clumsy White Man Creek" every time....
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
          beats "Slow and Clumsy White Man Creek" every time....
          Especially since that name was already taken several times in Pennsylvania!

Comment

And hey, the name gives great sponsorship opportunities with Prudential.

Comment

Working...
            X