Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K12: Tim Lincecum

what the dealio with Timmah?

He left today's start early after a collision at home plate, but that notwithstanding, he's hardly been himself this season: 6.04 ERA and a brutal 1.60 WHIP. He's still striking guys out, but what the heck is going on here? Is he a great buy low, or is something wrong?

Something is most definitely wrong. All of those 120+ pitch games, his slider, and the World Series run may have done him in. Velocity is down and the fastball which was always straight but a pinpoint laser appears easier to hit.

Comment

His contract runs through 2013. If he needs surgery he better man up now so he can recover before negotiations start.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

If his owner is in enough of a panic, yes buy low.
        high K rate and a guy who knows what it's like to dominate.
        velocity down and probably some other issues, but if the price is right....

You'd have to give me a discount, though - possible some bad news comes pretty soon.

Best spot to buy: You really want to win or finish in the money THIS YEAR, not sure if you can do it.
        Worthless at his high 2013 price in keeper leagues, and too risky if you already may have the horses.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          what the dealio with Timmah?

He left today's start early after a collision at home plate, but that notwithstanding, he's hardly been himself this season: 6.04 ERA and a brutal 1.60 WHIP. He's still striking guys out, but what the heck is going on here? Is he a great buy low, or is something wrong?
          I don't think that he's ever going to be anywhere near what he was. He's lost velocity, and seems to have lost control as well. His unorthodox delivery, combined with his stuff, was virtually unbeatable for a couple of years...now the league knows him, and all bets are off. He could re-create himself, but the better bet is that he simply becomes a slightly above average pitcher, who benefits from a great pitchers park. I wouldn't own him unless the price was VERY cheap...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Timmah, come git yer whuppin! Another battering, this time at the hands of the Marlins. I think at this moment, he could have some of the worst pitching stats in the NL for qualifiers.

Comment

Tried to trade Mauer to get Lincecum 2 weeks ago but the owner declined

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I dealt Lincecum, Freeman, and Craig to get Pujols in a dynasty league...who would have thought that Craig would have been the best player I dealt off?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

so I know his FIP etc are still decent, but he's giving up a ton of line drives and not getting any infield flies. Are those things that are just luck like so much of the other component pitching stats or are those actually indicative of fooling people and everyone making solid contact?

Actually, now that I look at it, the guys with the worst percentages of infield flies are Hammel, Samardzija, EJax, Romero, Lincecum, McDonald, Price, Buchholz, and CJ Wilson, which is quite a mix of disappointments and potential All-Stars, and among the guys with the highest LD percentages are Greinke and Santana. So maybe this is just noise?
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Fangraphs just posted something similar to what I was asking about. I think (in addition to being a bit wild sometimes) he's just making some bad pitches.

After giving up five runs in five innings in Seattle on Saturday, Tim Lincecum’s ERA now stands at 6.19. However, his 3.87 FIP and 3.82 xFIP stand in stark contrast to that mark, and his walk rate…
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Lincecum 40-S2 just dealt away for FFrancisco 14-S2 in my NL 12-team 5x5...
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Can we finally all agree that whatever is bothering Lincecum is something long term? I don't know if he's hiding an injury that makes his mechanics different, has just lost the delicate balance in his mechanics, or the rest of baseball has finally picked up on his funky delivery and motion. And if the last one is the case, beware Trevor Bauer owners...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Can we finally all agree that whatever is bothering Lincecum is something long term? I don't know if he's hiding an injury that makes his mechanics different, has just lost the delicate balance in his mechanics, or the rest of baseball has finally picked up on his funky delivery and motion. And if the last one is the case, beware Trevor Bauer owners...
                          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

wow, entering the Break with a 6.42 ERA and 1.58 WHIP. I think any Lincecum owners should just take whatever they can get for him. In my 16-tm redraft league, Hammer just picked him up for Mike Leake & Dayan Viciedo.....and he may have gotten robbed!

Comment

I tried to trade Mauer for him in week 5 and was declined....thankful for that

Comment

Working...
                              X