• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these runs earned?

T. Greene reached on bunt single
    - T. Greene to second on A.J. Ellis' fielding error
    - S. Robinson struck out, reached on wild pitch
    - L. Lynn sacrificed to third, T. Greene to third, S. Robinson to second
    - R. Furcal hit sacrifice fly to deep center, T. Greene scored, S. Robinson to third
    - M. Carpenter singled to right center, S. Robinson scored
    - M. Holliday homered to deep left, M. Carpenter scored
    - C. Beltran grounded out to third

How does the fact that Robinson struck out on a wild pitch affect the runs? Are they earned since it was a wild pitch?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    They are all unearned.
    why??
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      T. Greene reached on bunt single
      - T. Greene to second on A.J. Ellis' fielding error
      - S. Robinson struck out, reached on wild pitch
      - L. Lynn sacrificed to third, T. Greene to third, S. Robinson to second
      - R. Furcal hit sacrifice fly to deep center, T. Greene scored, S. Robinson to third
      - M. Carpenter singled to right center, S. Robinson scored
      - M. Holliday homered to deep left, M. Carpenter scored
      - C. Beltran grounded out to third

How does the fact that Robinson struck out on a wild pitch affect the runs? Are they earned since it was a wild pitch?

I would think they would be all unearned, but I don't know. I had a similar situation with Axford on May 11th.
      Where Axford got charged with a run, that I was certain was unearned.

He was pitching the 9th vs the Cubs.

1st batter I. Stewart reaches on error.
      2nd batter Reed Johnson strikes out.
      3rd batter: Dejesus triples in Ian Stewart.
      4th batter: Castro strikes out, but reaches on wild pitch. Dejesus scores.
      5th batter: Lahair strikes out, and Castor steals second
      6th batter: Soriano singles in Castro.
      Axford is relieved by James Russel who gets the last out.

Axford line was 0.2 IP 2H 3R 1ER 3SO.

Can anybody explain why Axford is charged with an earned run? It doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

I didn't see the play, so I'm just guessing, but the ESPN play-by-play says "T Greene safe at second on throwing error by catcher A Ellis." It does not say advanced to second on throwing error, so maybe Greene would have been out on the play but for the error (hence the unearned runs).

Comment

All earned - you have to replay the inning as if the errors had either been outs or not allowed runners to advance. From what I can tell (missed this part of the game):

single, runner on first
          error allows runner to second (replay keeps him at first)
          strikeout/wild pitch (replay has runners at 1st and 2nd, no outs)
          sacrifice (replay has runners at 2nd and 3rd, 1 out)
          fly ball (replay has runner on 3rd scoring, 2 outs)
          single (replay has runner on 2nd probably scoring depending on where the ball was hit, 2 outs)
          homer (replay has all runner scoring, 2 outs)
          fly out (replay has 3rd out)

Unless Ellis's error would have gotten Greene out, the runs are all earned.

Comment

all runs are unearned.

Greene was attempting to steal, but just spun his wheels and was on his way back to first when Ellis threw perfectly to first base. Loney who is usually a great defender, was flat footed about 7 feet from the base, as he had no clue Greene got a bad jump and was heading back to 1st base. Thus Ellis ball went sailing right over 1st base and into right field.

Anyhow, if there was no throw, Greene would have been on 1st base, with no outs.
            Robinson struck out on a ball that kicked a couple feet into the right handed batters box. Ellis spinning around like a top and then finally located the ball, but the throw was late. Again, if Greene was still on first, Robinson would have been out and Greene still on 1st with one out.

The sac bunt by Lynn, would then have been a man on 2nd with two outs.

Furcal's fly out, would have ended the inning. No runs.

Everything that came after Gwynn's catch of Furcal's fly ball would not count against Lilly.
            All runs are unearned.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              All earned - you have to replay the inning as if the errors had either been outs or not allowed runners to advance. From what I can tell (missed this part of the game):

single, runner on first
              error allows runner to second (replay keeps him at first)
              strikeout/wild pitch (replay has runners at 1st and 2nd, no outs)
              sacrifice (replay has runners at 2nd and 3rd, 1 out)
              fly ball (replay has runner on 3rd scoring, 2 outs)
              single (replay has runner on 2nd probably scoring depending on where the ball was hit, 2 outs)
              homer (replay has all runner scoring, 2 outs)
              fly out (replay has 3rd out)

Unless Ellis's error would have gotten Greene out, the runs are all earned.
              I believe this is the right answer. They should be all earned runs. The wild pitch is not an error and the error that allowed the runner to advance to second would not have resulted in an out, so the runs are earned.
              "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
              "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

So the baseball rules are pretty hard to figure out i guess

Where's Seitzer?

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                  I believe this is the right answer. They should be all earned runs. The wild pitch is not an error and the error that allowed the runner to advance to second would not have resulted in an out, so the runs are earned.
                  The error on Ellis allowed Greene to advance to second. If he had not gone to second on the error, first would not have been open for Robinson when he struck out on the wild pitch. At that point, there would be one out and a runner on first. Lynn sacrificed which was the second out and then the fly ball would have been the third out. As a result, all the runs should be unearned due to the error on Ellis opening up first base.

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                    The error on Ellis allowed Greene to advance to second. If he had not gone to second on the error, first would not have been open for Robinson when he struck out on the wild pitch. At that point, there would be one out and a runner on first. Lynn sacrificed which was the second out and then the fly ball would have been the third out. As a result, all the runs should be unearned due to the error on Ellis opening up first base.
                    I type corrected. All the runs are unearned according to the box score today. Props to both Mag7 and owned.
                    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Ahh, totally forgot that Robinson would not have been able to reach. I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                      X