Is this a vetoable trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a vetoable trade?

12 tm AL only 4x4 (my longtime money league...24 yrs)

Obvious dump deal...

Contending team trades:

Jesus Montero 9 pts opt yr
    Matt Moore 7 pts opt yr
    Alberto Gonzalez (pos filler)
    2nd round minor league pick (salaries are 7-6-5-4-3 for rds 1-5)

for

Konerko dead contract
    Cano dead contract
    Verlander 31 pts good for next year

Is this a deal that should be vetoed (and we have had ONE vetoed deal in 24 yrs in a collusion deal)?

I see it as a typical dump deal, ie; cheap top prospect keeper talent for dead/high price contract guys... Appreciate your votes and thoughts...
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%

The poll is expired.

I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

There was a trade earlier this year that I thought was worse, but as commish, absent collusion, bad trades are a part of baseball...and as much as I thought the re

Contending team trades:
    Scott Sizemore 4 1st yr
    Josh Willingham 16 opt
    Miguel Sano 7 (whenever he comes up)

for

Rebuilding team's:
    Jose Bautista 16 L3 (contract valid thru 2014)
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with either trade. Sano is a very legit top prospect and while I'd think someone could get more for Bautista it's hard to judge people's individual valuations.

Comment

The one thing the guy in the first deal could have done is split Moore and Montero into deals with two different owners. If he didn't open the trading clearly to all comers, then he made a tactical error and has to live with whatever hard feelings he cost himself. Still wouldn't veto.

I just picked up lame ducks Pence and Cuddyer in a deal, and hoped to make another with the same guy for SP Zimmermann, but I could tell he wasn't going to send me a 3rd guy unless I easily beat offers from other teams (I couldn't). Just common trading sense....
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          The one thing the guy in the first deal could have done is split Moore and Montero into deals with two different owners. If he didn't open the trading clearly to all comers, then he made a tactical error and has to live with whatever hard feelings he cost himself. Still wouldn't veto.
          But spitting up moore and montero isn't going to net him 3 very good players.

Neither is a veto. Not even close.

Comment

I woke up too early, lol.

The splitting should have been by the dumper, I mean.
            Sigh.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I see nothing to veto here.

As a dumper I would have traded those pieces differently, but to each his own.

Comment

As long as your league allows dump trades, I don't see anything remotely vetoable here.

Comment

I only veto for collusion
                  "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    Yep...

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      Agreed.

Comment

Oh, if only we had the old DerekNJND thread from the old rotojunkie. Sigh.

Comment

Thanks for the votes and comments, fellas... I was the contending team (in first) who made the proactive offer, knowing he was probably going to dump soon... The trade offer sat for a couple of days before he called and accepted it. Then there was a sh!tstorm... lol

Comment

The trade blows.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                            X