2K12 Blown Umpire Calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K12 Blown Umpire Calls

Okay **** it I'm with GITH, after Laz Diaz's egregious blown call against the A's today that cause them a double play. That **** was terrible. I mean really bad.

Laz Diaz is awful at his job

Comment

wasn't there an incident in a game a couple of days ago where the ball hit the batter in the ass and was called a foul ball?
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Wow, another pretty bad one in the Dodgers vs. D-Backs game right now. Grounder up the middle, they flipped to 2nd for the force out to end the inning and even though Bloomquist clearly stepped on the bag before Ethier slid in, he was called safe. Not the worst call I've seen all year (and it didn't hurt the D-Backs), but another instance where you wonder what the umpire's thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          Dodgers just got massively screwed on a replay, of all things. White Sox appealed a sac fly, claiming that Matt Treanor had left third base early. After a replay, the umps agreed. I saw the play on TV and cannot for the life of me see how they made that call. Maybe the same criteria are not in play for MLB umpires as in the NFL? There's no way that was indisputable evidence....Treanor looked like he left the bag after the catch. The game should be over but is now going into extras.
          Yeah, it looked like he clearly was on the bag when the catch was made. I noticed Hawk didn't throw a hissy fit when the call went for the Sox.

Comment

I don't think there was an official replay - the 3rd base umpire just called him out on the appeal.

It wasn't as egregious as some of the other calls this year since it was a close call (all tag-ups are), but it was very inexcusable because you only call the runner out when you are sure they left early. The umpire was scuffling to get in position and I don't think he made it in time.

Comment

If only the technology were around to help umpires review calls

Comment

They need to start with a laser desingator for the foul poles, that will be how they can sneak it in
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Lots of bad fair-foul calls near the third base bag this year, beyond the Beltran one in the Santana no-hitter. I've seen about three in the last week of Phillies games.

At this point I wouldn't object to a challenge system. HRs, like touchdowns, would be automatically reviewed if questionable, but give managers one or two challenges per game for all other calls except balls and strikes.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

When you start bringing technology into baseball umpiring, that's when you lose me.

Armando Gallaraga pitched a one-hitter.
                    Johan Santana pitched a no-hitter.

The only reason umpiring appears to be getting worse is because technology has increased. With the exception of perhaps Laz Diaz, I don't believe umpiring has gotten worse in the past 20-30 years. In fact, I feel it's gotten better, particularly with regards to a consistent strike zone.

The human element of baseball umpiring should forever be a part of the game, balls or strikes, fair or foul, HR or non-HR. Why does every call have to be the right one? Because there are millions of advertising dollars at stake. Without that, it's just a game.

If only we had the means to ignore technological advances...
                    "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                    "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

This is the worst one yet. Mike Dimuro calls a catch on Dewayne Wise who fell into the stands and did not catch the ball.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb...1557--mlb.html

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Long John View Post
                        When you start bringing technology into baseball umpiring, that's when you lose me.

Armando Gallaraga pitched a one-hitter.
                        Johan Santana pitched a no-hitter.

The only reason umpiring appears to be getting worse is because technology has increased. With the exception of perhaps Laz Diaz, I don't believe umpiring has gotten worse in the past 20-30 years. In fact, I feel it's gotten better, particularly with regards to a consistent strike zone.

The human element of baseball umpiring should forever be a part of the game, balls or strikes, fair or foul, HR or non-HR. Why does every call have to be the right one? Because there are millions of advertising dollars at stake. Without that, it's just a game.

If only we had the means to ignore technological advances...
                        I don't understand this sentiment. I can understand not wanting interminible replay delays and the like. I can understand not wanting to cede decisions to possibly inaccurate electronic systems. I don't understand this: the gist of what you are saying is that it is better to have mistakes in umpiring than not have mistakes. Should we not just then flip a coin on all calls and not care what actually happened on the field?

Comment

Working...
                        X