Chin up, Pujols owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chin up, Pujols owners

Pujols can still salvage his season. (US Presswire) Albert Pujols is hitting .160 in May. Obviously, that’s not the good news … well, pa...

Joe Poz gives you something to be happy about

Posnanski's post is a joke, right? I'm admittedly missing the punch line, but he's not serious, is he?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Posnanski's post is a joke, right? I'm admittedly missing the punch line, but he's not serious, is he?
      Why not? He's simply pointing out that it's still far too early to panic when it comes a transcendent player like Albert...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Why not? He's simply pointing out that it's still far too early to panic when it comes a transcendent player like Albert...
        Sure, don't panic, but if his concept of "well, he's done this well his whole career" is for real, it'd be laughed off here, and rightfully so. Pujols has a greatly diminished BB rate from his prime years and a greatly increased K rate. His HR/FB is in serious decline. His GB rate is well up. The logic of "he'll hit a lot of home runs and provide good offense because he always has done so and it'll magically reappear" is pretty weak, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Sure, don't panic, but if his concept of "well, he's done this well his whole career" is for real, it'd be laughed off here, and rightfully so. Pujols has a greatly diminished BB rate from his prime years and a greatly increased K rate. His HR/FB is in serious decline. His GB rate is well up. The logic of "he'll hit a lot of home runs and provide good offense because he always has done so and it'll magically reappear" is pretty weak, IMO.
          It worked for Derek Jeter!

Seriously, I don't think saying a guy who for all intents and purposes has never had a bad month in an 11-year HOF career can return to form is a reason to have it "laughed off." Heck, I used that same argument for someone who posted they wanted to trade him for Bryan LaHair and Kyle Seager, and claimed LaHair and Pujols "may have similar stats" the rest of the year.

You can say his stats are backing up his horrendous start, or you can reverse that and say his horrendous start is all-encompassing and affecting all of his stats. I'm betting on the latter.

If he falls off the cliff, it arguably would be the greatest early-year decline (assuming his age is real) since Dale Murphy, and Murphy couldn't hold a candle to Pujols.

Comment

Maybe I'm being more patient because my team is still in 2nd despite Pujols, but I just can't imagine he fell off the cliff this quickly and this rapidly. This is the same guy that fractured his wrist last year and was back to mashing after missing only the minimum # of games. I won't try to move him until it's too late...

Comment

Does anyone lend any weight to switching leagues as a cause of the diminished stats? Because if you do, then I don't think you can assume the continued awesomeness from his all-NL seasons.
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I wouldn't call anything Poz writes a joke

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Seriously, I don't think saying a guy who for all intents and purposes has never had a bad month in an 11-year HOF career can return to form is a reason to have it "laughed off."
                  He may not have had this disasterous of a month previously, but the first two months of last year were significantly down, also - .755ish OPS, 9-27 over the first third of the year. And even with that, he had a 1:1 BB:K ratio (22 walks, 22 Ks) and much better HR/FB and GB ratios.

This time around, he has 7 walks to 18 Ks, not to mention the other really bad signs relative to HR/FB and GB ratios. Last year, it was a pretty easy argument to say he had some bad luck, had a short bad run, but the peripherals supported a reversion back to mean. There's not a sign out there now that indicates he'll get back to a 1-ish OPS.

On top of it, even if he starts to hit in the .950ish OPS range he did last year, the R/RBI numbers probably will continue to suffer since the rest of the lineup around him just isn't very good.

Comment

Well, Mickey Hatcher wishes Pujols got it going sooner, as he was dismissed as Angels hitting coach yesterday after a 13-year run.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      I wouldn't call anything Poz writes a joke
                      ...but only because he's not very funny.
                      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                        Does anyone lend any weight to switching leagues as a cause of the diminished stats? Because if you do, then I don't think you can assume the continued awesomeness from his all-NL seasons.
                        And so it begins...3 run shot tonight. And he LOOKED like Albert, the body was still, the bat was quick, and the shot was quintessential Pujols.

And I don't buy into the league switching theory anymore, what with interleague play, umpires not being league specific, spring training, and just the general player movement itself, it's just not a big factor, IMO.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          And so it begins...3 run shot tonight. And he LOOKED like Albert, the body was still, the bat was quick, and the shot was quintessential Pujols.

And I don't buy into the league switching theory anymore, what with interleague play, umpires not being league specific, spring training, and just the general player movement itself, it's just not a big factor, IMO.
                          This has the feeling of one of those 2 HR, 7 RBI nights. Y'know, the one where all those who sold short on Pujols collectively think "omigosh, what have I done...?"

Comment

HR #3 today.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              HR #3 today.
                              and I assume you and everyone else picked him up in AFL Roto 350 monday.
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                              X