Christian Friedrich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Friedrich

a lot of buzz after the first 2 games so i went back and watched them... disclaimer: im not a knowledgeable baseball poster but i'll throw in my .02.

-worked with cliff lee for 10 days in the offseason to learn how to throw downhill. or so they say.
    -lost 30 pounds of fat.
    -was a really high top prospect 2 years ago.
    -throws a 92-93 straight fastball.
    -throws a 83mph change. mostly straight but sometimes sinks.
    -throws a 77mph big league curveball. which looks like a really, really, nice pitch.
    -gets a head on batters. with his fastball. usually throwing it on the lower outside corner to start.
    -seems to throw fastball 65% change 20% curve 15%.
    -looks very composed throwing from the windup. looks very different throwing from stretch with runners on base.
    -looks like he totally loses it pitching from the set with runners on base.
    -thru 2 games so far has .188 BAA with bases empty and a .313 with runners on, but has a .200 BAA once
    the runner from first makes it to 2b. but a .167 BAA with RISP w/2 Outs.
    -seems to grip the ball behind his leg from the stretch. i worry that with a runner on 2b, the runner can see what the next pitch will be and signal it to the batter.
    -looks great throwing the fastball low and on the corners. not scared to throw it high sometimes either, but when runners are on base he consistantly releases the ball too early and ends up throwing it outside on right handed batters for balls.

during the giants game he got a lot of swings and misses with runners on because the giants were very aggressive swinging at pitches very outside of the strike zone.

during the padres game (i really like that ball park. what a great idea having fans able to sit on the grass outside the center field wall), Chase Headley made a terrible running play stopping at 3rd with 1 out then running home and changing his slide from feet to head first. looked very funny. glad he didn't injure himself doing it. also, at one point Maybin Cameron bunted on his own with a runner on first but he paused after it was hit and looked at the ball before running. he would've been safe if he didn't pause. he also did the same thing on a fly ball that he ended up just missing.

all and all, i picked up Christian Friedrich in my yahoo league today. and he'll do great against weak teams with no runners on base. but against the stronger teams with runners on base he's gonna get shelled.

note: that curveball is dam pretty. outside of Clayton Kershaw i haven't seen one better.

Bonus: With the rest of the Rockies' starting cast struggling, if he produces, he's going to stay in the rotation. Pomeranz and White have shown flashes, but they haven't been consistent, and Tracy is starting to feel some pressure to replace guys who aren't getting the job done. Jorge De La Rosa got pulled from his last rehab start with forearm tightness after less than an inning, so I'm not expecting to see him back anytime soon.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Working...
    X