Jeff Niemann - broken fibula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Niemann - broken fibula

Lind smashed a liner off his leg in the 1st inning and x-rays found a small crack in the fibula. Alex Cobb pitched tonight in Durham so he is on the same schedule so I'd be stunned if he wasn't called up

"out a few months"

Good thing the Rays didn't trade from their pitching depth in a panic

Comment

No Wade Davis?

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
        No Wade Davis?
        He hasn't thrown more than 45 pitches this season. You can't take a guy from 45 to 85 or 95 in one start.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          He hasn't thrown more than 45 pitches this season. You can't take a guy from 45 to 85 or 95 in one start.
          Plus, Davis has thrived in the Rays bullpen and become a key component of it. Based on his numbers starting the last couple of seasons, it's doubtful Davis will be more effective in the rotation than Cobb anyway.

Comment

i didn't watch any of his games so far but based on the numbers this was Jeff Niemann's year to shine. just so you know, this was his so-called breakout year. as a result of his injury, i guess he'll have to wait now.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              No. But you can stretch him out over a few starts. Bring up a guy that can go two innings or so and there you have it. It's what the Yanks did with Phelps when they needed him in the rotation. This is assuming they believe Davis would be the best pitcher to replace Niemann. It would be worth it because of the length that Niemann is out. If it were one or two starts, I'd agree that you leave Davis in middle relief. But for two months, you stretch him out over a few starts.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Looks like word is it's going to be Cobb taking over for Niemann starting Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                  Looks like word is it's going to be Cobb taking over for Niemann starting Saturday.
                  Good. I just lost Duffy and have Cobb on my reserves.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                  Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                  Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Yeah. I have Niemann but fortunately also had Cobb... still, wish his promotion could have come another way. I'm skeptical about Niemann's coming back at full strength/ability this year now.

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                      I'm skeptical about Niemann's coming back at full strength/ability this year now.
                      Doc Halladay did.

Comment

Working...
                      X