Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Cahill for LaHair?

NL only 5x5 keeper league.

My staff is Cahill, Gio, Westbrook, Jansen, Papelbon, Shaw(Marmol when he doesn't suck), Wandy, Jaime Garcia and Arroyo. Obviously, if I deal Cahill, Marmol becomes full time unless I pick up a waiver pitcher.

LaHair would replace Bernadina in my lineup which is currently Posey/Ellis, Gaby, Espinosa, HanRam, Reyes, Goldschmidt, Heyward, Alonso, Kubel, Harper, Bernadina, Freeman.

Or, would you try to trade Garcia instead of Cahill?

either seems fine but LaHair's best baseball has already happened

Comment

Maybe think of LaHair like last year's Matt Joyce.. still better than Cahill for your team

Comment

Cahill is a good player to "sell high" on. He doesn't produce that many more Ks than a top-end setup guy, and he's lucked out so far with a very low HR rate.
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Since it's a keeper league, what are the salaries? Bernadina isn't that bad a play with Werth out for 12 weeks and I still don't completely trust LaHair (and I wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs tried to move him while he has some value)

Comment

Cahill 4; LaHair cannot be kept; Bernadina 7 (reserve pickup at draft)

What about Jaime Garcia instead of Cahill? Garcia is 9

Comment

I like Garcia much more than Cahill; even with the additional $5. That being said, I don't see a big upgrade for this year only getting LaHair (given his risk with Rizzo looking over his shoulder) to replace Bernadina (who's now in a solid platoon role for an extended period of time), so I wouldn't do the deal.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                I like Garcia much more than Cahill; even with the additional $5. That being said, I don't see a big upgrade for this year only getting LaHair (given his risk with Rizzo looking over his shoulder) to replace Bernadina (who's now in a solid platoon role for an extended period of time), so I wouldn't do the deal.
                Does it make any difference if I already own Rizzo in the event LaHair severly regresses over the next few months (which I do not think will happen given his previous minor league history).

I'm curious...why does everyone seem to think LaHair will regress much? I know the BA will not stay in the .380's, but in the last 3 years, his BA has steadily improved from .289 to .326 as his eye has consistently remained right around .5 the last couple of years and this year. If anything, his 2b rate and HR rate are below his last three year's averages.

I certainly am no expert, I just want to know what I'm missing for those who say he has "peaked". I can see the Joyce comparisons, but I think Joyce "hit the wall" in the 2nd half last year. He went from a platoon player totaling almost 500AB from 2008-10 then 450+ in 2011 alone. LaHair has maintained 420+ AB's for the last 3 years and shouldn't "hit the wall" in the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyheel View Post
                  Does it make any difference if I already own Rizzo in the event LaHair severly regresses over the next few months (which I do not think will happen given his previous minor league history).
                  It certainly minimizes your risk. Basically, it boils down to giving up Cahill to assure you have the starting Cubs 1Bman. I'd play out Bernadina and Cahill, and rolling the dice on Rizzo coming up in time to replace Bernadina when Werth comes back. But it certainly wouldn't be a trrrible deal for LaHair, either.

I'm curious...why does everyone seem to think LaHair will regress much? I know the BA will not stay in the .380's, but in the last 3 years, his BA has steadily improved from .289 to .326 as his eye has consistently remained right around .5 the last couple of years and this year. If anything, his 2b rate and HR rate are below his last three year's averages.

I certainly am no expert, I just want to know what I'm missing for those who say he has "peaked". I can see the Joyce comparisons, but I think Joyce "hit the wall" in the 2nd half last year. He went from a platoon player totaling almost 500AB from 2008-10 then 450+ in 2011 alone. LaHair has maintained 420+ AB's for the last 3 years and shouldn't "hit the wall" in the second half.
                  My concern is more a rapid regression to mean which may, given Rizzo looking over his shoulder, result in LaHair possibly losing his starting role.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'm not worried about LaHair losing his job, but I do think he'll be on a .250-.260, 25 HR pace the rest of the way. That certainly has value. But he has a 30% K rate and needs the HRs to keep coming to even hit .250. I am not a huge Cahill fan, but at $4 I worry that he should have more value than that down the road. So I think I'd pass, and hope for Cahill to keep it up long enough for teams to start dumping and net you something better.

I still like Garcia a lot and definitely wouldn't sell him.

Comment

Working...
                    X