Why slugging % is a better category in 5x5 leagues than HRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why slugging % is a better category in 5x5 leagues than HRs

Home runs are one of the original hitting categories for Rotisserie baseball and continue to dominate leagues today. A number of categories have edged there way into the market, such as On-Base %, SB-CS, K/9, and Holds, yet rarely do I see other leagues using Slugging %. I submit that slugging % is a better category, particularly in 5x5 leagues, for two reasons.

First, slugging % is more representative of a hitter's value to his team because it captures the value of 2Bs and 3Bs whereas these are treated the same as 1Bs in leagues that use HRs. Of course, extra-base hits are more likely to result in Runs and RBIs, but in plenty of cases no runners were batted in and the hitters are left stranded. The difference between a ball clearing the fence or not is often a matter of a few feet, so why do most leagues punish those hitters whose fly balls narrowly miss by only crediting them with a hit? 3Bs are considered by many to be even more exciting than Home Runs, so next time you're watching a game and see your player hit a two-out 3B and get stranded, ask yourself why this event was treated exactly the same as if he'd bunted for a single.

Total Bases would capture 2Bs and 3Bs as well, but the difference between them highlights the second major benefit of using Slugging % instead of Home Runs: in 5x5 leagues it balances the number of ratio/counting categories for hitters at 3:2 just like for pitchers. It has been suggested that the presence of two pitching ratio categories versus one hitting ratio category is one reason to devote more resources to hitting over pitching. I think greater injury risk, closer volatility, and the unpredictability of Wins are better reasons to spend more on hitting so changing from Home Runs to Slugging % won't alter the hitting/pitching spending ratio, but simply achieves greater balance in the standings, and we all know how important balance is in baseball.

The counter-arguments include tradition, the publicity of Home Runs, and the simple pleasure of watching our hitters clear the fences. These are credible of course but I think the two reasons I provided carry greater weight.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

But Slugging % also uses singles. Would you rather use isoPower? That would value 2b/3b/hr as 1/2/3 instead of 1b/2b/3b/hr as 1/2/3/4.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

we use total bases and on base instead of hr and batting average

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
        But Slugging % also uses singles. Would you rather use isoPower? That would value 2b/3b/hr as 1/2/3 instead of 1b/2b/3b/hr as 1/2/3/4.
        What is the rationale for ignoring singles?
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          What is the rationale for ignoring singles?
          I was just responding to your original post - it emphasized doubles and triples.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

I think the Home run is too much fun to ignore them as a stat category.

I would not want to be in a league that leaves it out.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
              we use total bases and on base instead of hr and batting average
              Yea, both my leagues use on-base as well. Since you already use total bases, does my 2nd point of balancing ratio/counting categories across hitting and pitching make sense then?
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Neither Slugging % nor Total Bases ignores Home Runs, they simply capture 2Bs and 3Bs along with Home Runs.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

I'm in a 6x6 league that uses OBP and SLG instead of AVG. The 6th pitching category is HR allowed.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    I'm in a 6x6 league that uses OBP and SLG instead of AVG. The 6th pitching category is HR allowed.
                    I'm in a league that uses OBP instead of AVG and SLG as the sixth category like yours. Our sixth pitching category is K/BB. I find that these hitting categories slant the value for too much to power hitters and almost makes speed guys very low in value. Maybe you like that but I find using HR and SLG redundant and the effect it has on speedsters is too much of a negative. But that's just me.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Agree 100%.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        3Bs are considered by many to be even more exciting than Home Runs, so next time you're watching a game and see your player hit a two-out 3B and get stranded, ask yourself why this event was treated exactly the same as if he'd bunted for a single.
                        Because it has exactly the same effect on the outcome of the game?

But, seriously, there are any number of categories you can add or substitute into a scoring system, some of which will make the scoring more "realistic" or more accurately reflect the contributions of certain types of players. But in the end, these categories simply reflect the preferences or prejudices of the owners in the league. Some categories are, arguably, just plain silly, like "holds".

The original categories were chosen, in large part, because the information was readily available in the box scores of the day. Now we don't have to rely on newspaper box scores.

Using different categories isn't sacrilege. But, it's a little like changing the rules of Monopoly to make them more realistically reflect real estate acquisition.

Comment

Working...
                        X