• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cards carpet bomb Burnett

2.2 IP, 12 ER. Wowow.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

yeah and Freese is o fer...
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I wake up from a brief snooze and see the Pirates are down 9-1, and I say to myself, "I hope that wasn't Burnett". This is an understandable reaction since Burnett is the only Bucco SP I own.

I check the box score, and sure enough, it's Burnett. Uh oh. Beltran takes him over the wall again and he's given up 12. I am almost scared to look to see what damage he's done to my PONY team. I suck it up and go to the site.

Burnett is on my reserves.

This is definitive proof that there is a merciful God, at least in Roto.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

yet another reason why "benches" suck.

nothing better than seeing that line and KNOWING that a rival just took one in the 'nads.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          I wake up from a brief snooze and see the Pirates are down 9-1, and I say to myself, "I hope that wasn't Burnett". This is an understandable reaction since Burnett is the only Bucco SP I own.

I check the box score, and sure enough, it's Burnett. Uh oh. Beltran takes him over the wall again and he's given up 12. I am almost scared to look to see what damage he's done to my PONY team. I suck it up and go to the site.

Burnett is on my reserves.

This is definitive proof that there is a merciful God, at least in Roto.
          I picked him up today. He isn't active until tomorrow. Whew!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I don't think there has ever been a worse start in our leagues point scoring history, at least one that was actually in the line up. He was a -23 in our scoring system today. It is rare indeed for a pitcher to be left in for 12 ER.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I don't think there has ever been a worse start in our leagues point scoring history, at least one that was actually in the line up. He was a -23 in our scoring system today. It is rare indeed for a pitcher to be left in for 12 ER.
              I remember, back somewhere between 2007-2010 i think it was. I picked up Juan Cruz (MR) to help me get some free/cheap Ks. His K rate was ridiculous (like 12+ K/9). Anyway, I put him in my active roster, and he gets shelled for 6+ runs, and something like 10+ base runners allowed without recording a single out.

That move haunted me all season long.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                yeah and Freese is o fer...
                Wrong thread
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/04231999.shtml

a bunch of unearned runs but still fun when it happened

Comment

Check my math, but here's the impact on your team ERA if you play regular roto:

Let's assume the closest to a normal 2.67 IP outing would yield 1 ER rather than 0 ER. So Burnett gave up 11 extra Earned Runs.

Let's assume your team will pitch 1,200 innings this year.

Impact of Burnett's outing On Your Final Team ERA = 11 Extra Earned Runs X 9 / 1200 = .08!

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                      http://www.baseball-almanac.com/boxscore/04231999.shtml

a bunch of unearned runs but still fun when it happened
                      I owned Chan Ho Park that year.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

In 2006, it happened to Jason Marquis twice...

6/21/06 - 5.0 IP, 14 HITS, 1 BB, 13 ER

7/18/06 - 5.0 IP, 14 HITS, 2 BB, 12 ER

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                          In 2006, it happened to Jason Marquis twice...

6/21/06 - 5.0 IP, 14 HITS, 1 BB, 13 ER

7/18/06 - 5.0 IP, 14 HITS, 2 BB, 12 ER
                          Wow, that is brutal. AJ's was over less innings though.

Comment

In terms of ERA Impact, I wonder Burnett's 2.2 IP 12 ER outing was the worst in the history of Rotisserie League baseball (early 1980s-present). Marquis' 5 IP 13 ER was probably roughly the same as Burnett's, since Marquis essentially pitched 2.1 more IP with 1 ER (3.91 ERA for the additional IPs and ER)

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              I owned Chan Ho Park that year.
                              I owned Tatis.
                              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                              -- William James

Comment

Working...
                              X