Did I misjudge my team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I misjudge my team?

So it's a 10-team NL-only (Hammer is also in this one) with OBP, R, RBI, SB and TB, ERA, WHIP, W, S, K/9. Coming into the draft my keepers were weak compared to most of the league and I decided to go after big-time players I could move and high-upside potential keepers (effectively calling it before it started). Though I am loathe to do this, I felt my keepers put me at such an extreme disadvantage I had no choice. So I know it's still early (about 1/8th into the season) but I've been very competitive thus far much to my surprise. After the draft I thought I'd done exactly what I wanted to do.

So the question is this, is it a mirage or can this team really compete?

C - Wilin Rosario, Wellington Castillo
    1B - Matt Carpenter
    2B - Dan Uggla
    3B - Juan Francisco
    SS - Steven Lombardozzi
    CI - Bryan LaHair
    MI - Omar Infante
    OF - Matt Kemp, Corey Hart, Shane Victorino, Will Venable, Brian Bogusevic
    Util - Allen Craig

P - Tim Lincecum, Ted Lilly, Wandy Rodriguez, Vance Worley, James McDonald, RA Dickey, Anthony Bass, Andrew Cashner, Javy Guerra
    Bench - Nolan Arenado, Jerry Sands, Trevor Bauer, Shelby Miller
    DL - Aubrey Huff, Tim Stauffer, Nick Masset

As I type the names I think, there's no way, but I need a sanity check here.

whew, that infield is brutal overall - but the first three OFs are... ok.

I can't see you getting enough ABs to stay afloat in all hitting categories.
    what happens if Wandy goes to AL?
    check your current SV pts, and then analyze how many you expect to have there at season's end. Guerra and Infante, and an extra 20 pct of Kemp, have skewed some numbers - although Lincecum will stop hurting you in ERA/Ratio at least.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      whew, that infield is brutal overall - but the first three OFs are... ok.

I can't see you getting enough ABs to stay afloat in all hitting categories.
      what happens if Wandy goes to AL?
      check your current SV pts, and then analyze how many you expect to have there at season's end. Guerra and Infante, and an extra 20 pct of Kemp, have skewed some numbers - although Lincecum will stop hurting you in ERA/Ratio at least.
      I have 4.5 pts in saves right now so the downside isn't huge. Infante sticks out to my as the biggest outlier and also as you said, Kemp can't stay quite this good.

Definitely concerned about the AB. I have 748 going into this week and with one exception, all other teams are between 900 and 1000. I will qualify but the lack of AB could do me in as I have 4-5 PT players in the lineup right now. The thing is, if the bones are solid I can try to add the AB I would need to catch up there.

Comment

I think the real problem is that you're already behind in ABs, and likely to get further behind. Carpenter is not going to keep playing every day, Lahair could lose out to Rizzo in the 2nd half, Francisco will probably play a little less (though he should finish around 300 PAs). Then again, who do you have in for Craig now? You could gain back some ABs there. I have had teams like this and I have never seen it as sustainable. If you could deal Kemp for two $30 players, maybe.

Comment

Infante and LaHair arent going to maintain their pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
            Infante and LaHair arent going to maintain their pace.
            LaHair doesn't have to maintain his pace to be valuable to the Cubs or fantasy owners. I think Theo is going to be true to his word and not bring up Rizzo until very deep in the season. It wouldn't surprise me to see LaHair going to the OF.

He was mashing in the minors. No reason he can't be very good this year.

Comment

@JC - I actually have Craig in the lineup and he's being activated today. I put him in for Huff this week.
              @Pauly & Gregg - I tend to agree with Gregg about LaHair. He obviously isn't a .390 hitter but the power is no mirage. If he's hitting, no way he sits, and as Gregg said, if they call on Rizzo, LaHair can play OF.

I don't think as it stands I can stay in the race long term but if the bones are strong enough I could probably make moves early to strengthen the rest. It's probably too early to call anyway. Thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Just heard LaHair's BABIP is over .600. Sell now.

Comment

Yes, LaHair is hitting the ball hard - when he hits it.
                  You sounds like you realize the AVG is a mirage - hard to hit .250 with all those Ks. But he can punish mistakes, and does. Still worth selling if someone buys it all as a real all-around package.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                  X